Norton & District cricket league

Did anyone out there ever play in either the Norton & district cricket league or the Sheffield and District mid-week Alliance league?

Better late than never, I played in the Norton League from 1975-1980 playing for Grimesthorpe CC . I moved to the Sheffield League, where I played for Leadmill CC until around 1983, (I Think) I played for both teams in the Sheffield Alliance mid week league.

What happened to the Norton League?

Oil man,

I remember playing against Grimesthorpe CC, there was also Grimesthorpe Old Boys, Leadmill used to be in the N&D league, other teams I remember were - Sykes CC; Daniel Doncasters, NALGO; GPO; Firth park Meths; Hatfield House; Handsworth Meths; Little Matlock; Crookes and many more that I'm struggling to remember now.

Also the mid-week Alliance where the norm was 15 eight ball overs to save time during the turnround between overs.

As you say what happened to the N & D league? also the mid week alliance league. Perhaps more to the point why were all these clubs allowed to fade away without trace?

I played in The Norton and District Cricket League in late 1950s and early 1960s for Leadmill Old Boys CC. I played regularly from about 1959 to 1964 [but I probably played as a fill-in fielder from about 1956] but my father Fred had played in the league since about 1946/7. After 1964 I played in the Bradford League for Yeadon and Salts whilst at university. It seemed to me that "District " had quite a wide interpretation ! Teams that I recall are Apperknowle, Darnall Baptists, Birley Community, Hollinsend, Frechville, Hackenthorpe, Masborough, PWD and possibly Grimesthorpe.

I played for Handsworth St Josephs in the N&D in High Hazels Park,we were then fortunate enough to be able to play at the old Dormer ground at Jordanthorpe and were able to get into the Sheffield League where we moved up through the divisions.Cricket was alive and well in those days but sadly now greatly diminished.

I played in the Norton & Distric Lge around 1968 for Broughton Lane we were playing against Heeley Friends in Graves Park were I took all 10 wickets for 26 runs did anyone out there play in this game. I played later on for Bellhouse road wmc

I also played for liitle matlock in the norton&district league&also for firth brown tools in the mid-week works league which was 15x8 ball overs.

I also played for liitle matlock in the norton&district league&also for firth brown tools in the mid-week works league which was 15x8 ball overs.

Do you know Dave Hague?

I would really appreciate if any of you lads who played in this league know of the whereabouts of any historical records relating to the league.

Do you know Dave Hague?

The name dosent ring a bell but we are talking around 30/35 years ago! didd he play for little matlock or firth brown tools? little matlock players i remember were dave parkin wicket keeper who also played for FBT, steven peacock ,im not sure if john gibson played for little matlock or if i played with john at abbey taxis in another mid-week league

The name dosent ring a bell but we are talking around 30/35 years ago! didd he play for little matlock or firth brown tools? little matlock players i remember were dave parkin wicket keeper who also played for FBT, steven peacock ,im not sure if john gibson played for little matlock or if i played with john at abbey taxis in another mid-week league

Steve Peacock has started to play for us on Saturdays assuming its the same guy I can't imagine 2 Steve Peacocks having played for Little Matlock could be wrong though.

Steve Peacock has started to play for us on Saturdays assuming its the same guy I can't imagine 2 Steve Peacocks having played for Little Matlock could be wrong though.

he was only a young man when he played with us maybe 18/20 years old if its the same guy?