How do you think the world began?

Going back to the topic:

I'm a religious scientist and I believe it was the big bang theory (or thereabouts) which was initiated by the Supreme power......

It sort of fits in with my religion too (hinduism) where we believe that the world was created and will eventually be destroyed and then created again and so on...

Originally posted by JoeP

Or the Hindu 'Dream of Brahma'. Funnily enough, in Hindu cosmology a 'day' for Brahma is, I think, roughly the current age of the Universe. Spooky, huh? :)

In Shintoism, the Sun God... ahem... pleasured himself, and the resultant... release... coaleased to form the world.

Originally posted by kay_cee

Far more ridiculous surely is the theory of evolution.

That everything we see around us is the random result of a random big bang?

That's not what evolution says.

It says that any small random change that happens that gives the resulatant organism a better capability of surviving to produce offsping will propgate more than and change that doe not improve the ability

Where do you think brussell sprouts, leicester pigs, marino sheep, etc. etc. etc. etc. came from?

The cake mix analogy does not hold because a cake does not give birth to another set of cake mix.

Originally posted by vidster

If all matter was created during the big bang, i'd like to exactly what went bang? I think at this point the answer is no one knows :?

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded :)

--

JGH

Originally posted by StarSparkle

I'd just like to add that, essentially:

To me, I think Spirituality is something very personal to an individual. I think it's about describing your own relationship with God, whereas Religion is more believing in and following the tenets of a particular religion, in a organised way, and perhaps in a communal manner.

Both are pathways to God. Similar, but not identical.

StarSparkle

Beautifully put StarSparkle... maybe we should start a mutual appreciation society!

Originally posted by jgharston

The cake mix analogy does not hold because a cake does not give birth to another set of cake mix. [/b]

Your point being? The earth hasn't given birth to another earth... as far as I am aware....

Originally posted by absynthfairy

Your point being? The earth hasn't given birth to another earth... as far as I am aware....

no but it's not a cake either.

If you view the universe, the earth or the human eye as an artefact you will inescapably need a creator (or artificier).

That's the category error in my opinion.

We are stardust....

Originally posted by Mosey

The big bang obviously, why people believe it was made in 7 days is beyond me. There's so much evidence against it and next to nothing to support it.

hehe dont go to Kansas and say that they'll lynch you :loopy:

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

We are stardust....

Concious self-aware living stardust that dreamed itself in to existance?

Originally posted by jgharston

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded :)

--

JGH

How can nothing exploid :P

Originally posted by Jimbob1989

How do you think the world began? God? The big Bang? Or do you have a completely different idea?

god had a fart and *poop* out came exsistence

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

no but it's not a cake either.

If you view the universe, the earth or the human eye as an artefact you will inescapably need a creator (or artificier).

That's the category error in my opinion.

Yeah I can appreciate that - but thats where the recipe comes in, the blueprint, the original design...

I never said the analogy was perfect, but it certainly is powerful to see when you're 12 and questioning the origins of the universe for the first time. Sure beats a textbook!