How do you think the world began?

Originally posted by max

If it could be proven that god did not exist would you accept that or would you go on believing in a god?

Thats a bit of a non starter Max, as you can't base fact on hypothetical reasoning, which 'proving God' doesn't exist is, as you could never prove it.

Originally posted by kay_cee

Thats a bit of a non starter Max, as you can't base fact on hypothetical reasoning, which 'proving God' doesn't exist is, as you could never prove it.

Yes but he cleary said IF it coud be proven.

Originally posted by spyro2000

Yes but he cleary said IF it coud be proven.

Don't waste your breath, you'll never get a straight answer. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by oatescamilla

no cause quite a few people have experinced things from God and its so incredible. maybe just coz you havnt experinced it you dont actually know what it feels like but i can tell you its awesome

Or maybe we're rational enough to see it is our own potential or chance that brings these things about, rather than a pseudo-mystical explanation?

Maybe we experience these events every single day but don't have to resort to the comforting idea of a supreme being to make us feel better about the fact we're going to die?

Perhaps we're sure enough of ourselves not to need a safety blanket of faith or the hypocritical idea of being told what to do when we already know? Morality is common sense for this zeitgeist IMHO.

Since evrything is always going to be subjective, why am I even making these opinions known?

Wilf

dinosaurs

fossil remains

not one mention in any religious text of the presence in the garden of eden of any 'supersize me' lizards....

and here's the thing I hope sticks in the throat more than anything.....

if I am wrong ( I'm not but hey there could be a first time) and I die, and go to 'the gates' and meet 'my creator' and he says so what about all that non believing stuff? all I have to do is say sorry, and I'm in, alongside the true believers....

as Ted said ( and yes I know he was referring specifically to catholicism).... " It's so vague and nobody really knows what it's all about!"

:clap: :clap:

well how about you belive what you want to and ill juts get on with my wounderful life living so close to God

Why do people always have this 'either, or' mentality when it comes to science / god?

I think some people may benefit from differentiating between 'god' in a religious sense, and 'god' in an ultimate reality (totally not connected with religion) sense.

In the later sense, while I agree with StarSparkle:

Personally, I believe the Universe is infinite and consists of many dimensions, some so alien to our way of thinking that we will never be aware of them. And God created it.

Though I would argue, that 'god' didn't create it, 'god' *IS* it.

I also think 'god' is an unfortunate choice of word, because of it's connection with, and use by, organised religions.

Clearly, the world was created by Mickey Mouse! (nooooo, don't ban me, it's been a long day, I'll be a good boy now).

[edit]

Actually, if I'm being honest here, I'll go with the hindu style, brahma's (sp?) dream like nature of reality. I was recently looking as a patch of grass (not that kind of grass) and feeling, considering, what it all means, that I'm even here to witness it, it was amazing, as if all my life's experience was no more than a ripple, on the surface of a big bubble of nothing.

well how about you belive what you want to and ill juts get on with my wounderful life living so close to God

Don't get on the defensive just because I questioned you!

That is so typical of religion... can't stand criticism.

Wilf

The (HUGE) floor in the "God created the world" theory (and it is a theory) is Genesis 2, in particular...

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

and...

19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air

...both of which we know to be wrong thanks to the wonders of evolution.

I don't think religion is a bad thing, but I do think that its time has passed and the fact that so many people still cling to it, and indeed kill, fight wars and form opinions on people's lifestyles (eg: homosexuals) because of it is more than a little worrying imho.

As for the original question of the thread - I'd have to go along with the reoccuring big-bang.

cool plan :D

does this mean we cant be friends then?

:clap:

Originally posted by Jamie

Why do people always have this 'either, or' mentality when it comes to science / god?

I think some people may benefit from differentiating between 'god' in a religious sense, and 'god' in an ultimate reality (totally not connected with religion) sense.

In the later sense, while I agree with StarSparkle:

Though I would argue, that 'god' didn't create it, 'god' *IS* it.

I also think 'god' is an unfortunate choice of word, because of it's connection with, and use by, organised religions.

Clearly, the world was created by Mickey Mouse! (nooooo, don't ban me, it's been a long day, I'll be a good boy now).

Well said, Jamie :thumbsup: I totally agree with you.

I did say God created the Universe (which I believe), but in a sense I also believe, as you do, that God IS the Universe. Everything is a manifestation of Him.

But I think some people on here are thinking of the universe in purely physical terms, as in stars and planets they could scratch with a coin. The metaphysical aspects simply go over their heads - and they'll just say 'you can't prove it, so you're wrong' anyway. I didn't want to risk confusing them too much. :D

StarSparkle