Verbal abuse of cyclists

I was off for a ride out to the Peak a couple of winters ago and heading for Eccy Woods past the lake on Abbeydale road, when an almighty BANG on the side of my head announced a FULL bottle of lucozade (or pee in a lucozade bottle maybe) being thrown hard from a passing car by some gurning retard. I was a bit shaken and had a lump on my head later, but I gave chase. Failed to catch them, and not sure what I'd have done if I had, to be honest, given there was a carful of them. Probably bust a window and taken a beating I expect, unless I could get away fast enough.

Get an
and get your own back on them ;)

That's one of the few video's I've seen on youtube with responsible cycling. It's usually D-Heads thinking their in the right and getting all militant.

When I used to cycle through Peckham the kids used to throw milk bottles at me - I would peddle like mad through those estates. Maybe because cyclists are so vulnerable on the road, compared to cars, it automatically brings out the bully in the feeble-minded

Have you checked in the mirror before you go out on your bike?i would ,because maybe someone is sticking a sign on your back with "KICK ME" wrote on it :D

thank you thats very informative

When I used to cycle through Peckham the kids used to throw milk bottles at me - I would peddle like mad through those estates. Maybe because cyclists are so vulnerable on the road, compared to cars, it automatically brings out the bully in the feeble-minded

I used to live in that area of the world in the 1980's and 90's, but further out in South London near Dartford, and remember at one time it was incredibly common to be shouted at by both drivers/car passengers (and yobs on the top decks of buses, and on foot) as being some kind of weirdo, especially if like me you were one of the few cyclists who sensibly wore a helmet. However, from the mid-80's it rapidly became less common, thanks to a far stricter view by Police and the Thatcher Government (Ahh, remember her?) over Public Order, and it became a serious offence to shout from a moving vehicle with intent to endanger life (Dangerous Driving). The issue of pedestrians is a bit more complex as they are not in charge of a vehicle, but as far as I know they can still be arrested if they deliberately engage in activity leading to obstruction of the Highway (i.e. standing in the middle of the road forcing people to swerve), or indeed throwing missiles (I would imagine something like 6 months, going by the London riots court cases...:hihi:

ha, no, i just live on parsons cross and the boredom that the local youths feel is taken out on anything and everything that will take this away. even if that means hurting other people or destroying property , just for the laff factor. sad but true

You're right, it is sad, it's also pathetic if they're any older than 10.

I read a lot about cyclists being bullied on the roads, but today was the first time I actually saw it happen. I'm a car driver and was in slow moving traffic, a cyclist was coming up on the inside, then the car in front of me suddenly swerved over towards the kerb forcing the cyclist to stop. I might've thought this was accidental, but the same car did exactly the same thing to the same cyclist a couple of hundred yards further on. The guy on the bike had done nothing wrong as far as I could see.

I'd no idea that cyclists/runners were in danger on the streets of sheffield - is this really a problem or is it relatively few incidents? does it happen all/most of the time?

bit wary of taking up cycling/running now....

I'd no idea that cyclists/runners were in danger on the streets of sheffield - is this really a problem or is it relatively few incidents? does it happen all/most of the time?

I've been commuting to work every day for the last 4 years and have had only one crash of which the fault was half my own.

Apart from the one pretty major crash, I've had a couple of incidents of cars cutting me up and pulling out in front of me, usually along Ecclesal Road.

Provided you keep your wits about you, cycle safely and confidently (read defensively!) you are unlikely to encounter the experiences noted above. I'm not saying you will never experience them; it is, in my opinion, highly unlikely.

Don't EVER let a few scare stories put you off perusing anything you want to do - even if the Daily Mail says "cycling causes cancer" (tongue-in-cheek)

Get on your bike, smile and enjoy the ride!:D

Ask any cyclist and I bet they've had something like this happen - my experiences range from things being thrown out of car windows at me to someone walking to the edge of a tram stop and trying to kick me off the bike. (But I'd take those any day over the motorist who completely ignored a give way sign and drove straight into me...)

But I'd also echo the points above - stay alert and cycle both defensively and assertively and you're almost always fine.

(this is why motorist vs cyclist arguments annoy me. Yes there are a lot of ridiculously stupid cyclists out there. But the usual worst-case scenario for a driver is a dent in the car from someone being an idiot, whereas cyclists have to deal with malicious people actively trying to put them in hospital or worse)

Don't worry, it's natural for those who are hard of thinking to attack/insult things they don't understand. Luckily, the abuse I get from both running and cycling hardly amount to anything these days. I wouldn't let it put you off.

I thought it was just me who got shouted at in the road when cycling... Best one has to be four lads in a car on Abbeydale Road, as they passed me, the passenger leans out and gives a loud "OI OI".. Nothing too odd with that then (normal sort of behaviour for a cretin, but then they go through some bizarre three point turn at Tescos to drive back the other way, turn round again to drive back past me to shout.... yes you guessed ...."OI OI". I thought in the time it took them to turn round this life form who had clearly just discovered the ability to walk on two legs could have thought of something else to shout, other than OI OI.

Now the Inbetweeners shouting "Bus Banker" (sorry Mods) is a little amusing but OI OI ??????? Don't get it sorry.

Incidentally I have an Airzone. Sorry to the girl who walked out in front of me o/s the Town Hall a couple of months back, but have you considered applying for the Olympic High Jump team, 'cos baby, your good !!