Cost of school photos - any other parents annoyed with it??

Rip off - every year I scan them to the computer and send them back.....oops!!!

:D

So it's your fault there so expensive.

And what lesson are you teaching your children, if it's too expensive then just steal it?

I know this is an old thread originally, but, things must have changed. We've recently had our children photographed and thought the prices were very reasonable.

We also got the sample prints instead of the photo's which I think is a good idea due to the theft via copying that seems to be done. There is also this woman at the school who every year used to take the originals home (when they sent them prior to payment) and every year she some how got away with not paying for them.

It appears it gets more expensive the older they get. Our eldest has just graduated and we had the cheapest pack on offer which was one large and 2 A5 sized photos at the cost of £34 via Tempest. Its a great photo I have to admit, but why would it cost any more that photographing a child of nursery age?

It appears it gets more expensive the older they get. Our eldest has just graduated and we had the cheapest pack on offer which was one large and 2 A5 sized photos at the cost of £34 via Tempest. Its a great photo I have to admit, but why would it cost any more that photographing a child of nursery age?

It doesn't cost any more to take the photo but what does that have to do with the selling price? You have quite a few chances to get photos of a nursery age child but only one chance (usually) to get a graduation photo...if you don't want it don't get it,if you do then you have to pay the asking price..

Or just take a photo yourself before returning the gown and hat.

Of course we did take our own photos, but your not telling me that the general school photos are subsidised,and hence graduation ones are aptly priced. They are all inflated, graduation ones even more so.

Of course we did take our own photos, but your not telling me that the general school photos are subsidised,and hence graduation ones are aptly priced. They are all inflated, graduation ones even more so.

Easy,don't buy them...

I have nothing against it. I am glad to pay a small amount of money to obtain a piece of memory from my son and his school year.

Usually you have an option to purchase the photo on a CD and I believe it is copyright free and I think there is sometimes a cheaper alternative of having the photo emailed to you...

Once you have the image you can do so much with it and only pay for exactly what you want locally i.e. one 10x7 for your favourite frame rather than paying for a pack that includes 10 pasport sized photos you'll never use heh heh!!

Or maybe even a canvas print wink wink :hihi:

I never buy the individual school pictures, they're a waste of money, I know what my kids look like and I take plenty of pictures of them myself anyway. I'll always stump up for the full class pictures though, they're worth it for the memories!

My Neice had her photo's done at her home by Karl's Photography Centre. He came to her house did a half house photo shoot. Got loads of my Neice in her uniform and gave them all on a disc for £45.

He also does school photo's. My sister says he lets you choose what you want in your packs. She was really happy with hers. But generally i agree. Photographer do take the mickey with their prices :(

just got my kids school photos back - aw, they all look so lovely in their uniforms....but the blinkin price of the photos is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!

- for one 10" x 7" pic = £15!!!!

- a pack of one 10x7, two 7x5, four 6x4 and about 8 of those passport size pics = £26!!

you can only get the pre-set packs.....no picking however many pics of whatever size.....i want loads of the passport size pics of each of my 3 kids but can only get 8 if i buy each childs' £26 set!

what a rip off.......i understand all about overheads, costs etc....but they are ripping us off big style! and they arent even a sheffield firm, but one based in Wilmslow!!

anyone else have any comments/thoughts?

wowsers, i've just managed to read through all 3 pages =_= if anyone is wanting school photos done, you can come to my studio based in swallownest.

I can do the general school photo pose, but why not try having some modern and fresh photos also? Bring outfit changes, bring props and have fun in the studio whilst I snap away.

Take a look at my website: http://www.gloverlaiphotography.com for examples of my work. I used to work for Venture Portraits in Sheffield, and there I've learnt the importancy of offering a quality product aswel as a quality service. Photoshoots are fun in the studio and I don't charge extortionate prices.

I do canvas prints, framing and digital prints. Prices can be found on my website. Hope to hear from some of you soon.