Finding a job in IT (relocating to Sheffield)

Hi all,

I am currently looking to relocate to Sheffield (from Leicester) ASAP but I really want to get a job in the area before I do. I am currently in IT development and would say I was junior to mid-level. There suddenly seems to be a severe lack of jobs around on the ususal jobsites, totaljobs, etc.... and when there are jobs, they all seem to be senior roles.

I was wondering if there were any companies that would be worth directly applying to. I just don't know where to look at the moment as I really don't know Sheffield or the surrounding areas well at all.

THanks for any help, really appreciated!!

What operating system(s) are you working with? How about which language(s) are you developing in? Which data base(s) do you use for development? Do you use any development methodologies?

Do you develop from a functional specification or a system specification or a technical specification?

How much unit, link and system testing do yopu perform? Do you carry out any user acceptance testing? Do you produce test plan and to what lwvwl?

Edited by Phili Buster

Sorry, I didn't realise I could be so specific.

I'm a .NET developer (desktop side rather than websites, although I would be willing to move into web should the right training be provided. I am capable of writing websites and have done in the past).

I have been learning C#.NET for about a year now and using VB for about 3 years.

Operating systems would be limited to programming in Windows at the moment.

plusnet are based in Sheffield, and have a high staff turnover so always vacancies... Something to do whilst you get yourself settled here? Many of the big IT places have recruitment freezes on and have done for a year or two... Modis is a IT agency here, believe that The Agency also have some IT vacancies reasonably regularly...

thank you for your help. i will try out these places and see what i can find.

No harm in sending your CV to the larger companies in Sheffield plus the Universities and Hospitals. Most may recruit through Agencies but they may keep your CV on file.

As mentioned send your CV to all the Agencies and even those close by such as Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley.

Looking for IT work in Sheffield sometimes feels a bit like looking for IT work in 1980. For a city the size of Sheffield there seems to be hardly any IT jobs around. Leeds and Manchester are much better but the commute is bad to both.

One job I was looking at had a short list of 100 suitable applicants and it wasn't a particularly good job either.

Sorry, I didn't realise I could be so specific.

I'm a .NET developer (desktop side rather than websites, although I would be willing to move into web should the right training be provided. I am capable of writing websites and have done in the past).

I have been learning C#.NET for about a year now and using VB for about 3 years.

Operating systems would be limited to programming in Windows at the moment.

There's no shortage of .NET C# jobs around in Sheffield. Best jobs board is CW Jobs.

Hi,

I would get in touch with modis international, they have an office in Sheffield town centre and are an IT specific recruiter. I used to work there and they always had loads of .net jobs available, permanent/ temporary/ contractors etc.

HSBC was a big customer of theres and they were permanently recruiting!

Don't bother, IT is not well paid in Sheffield - you want Leeds.

Looking for IT work in Sheffield sometimes feels a bit like looking for IT work in 1980. For a city the size of Sheffield there seems to be hardly any IT jobs around. Leeds and Manchester are much better but the commute is bad to both.

Unfortunately I found this to be true. One thing I can recommend is sending your CV off to a recruitment agency. They will then see if you're suitable to any jobs they have lined up and will do all the hard work for you (sending off CV, keeping in touch with potential employer during the interview stage, arranging several interviews). Also if you aren't successful, they let you know straight away instead of you sitting by the phone for weeks...

plusnet are based in Sheffield, and have a high staff turnover so always vacancies... Something to do whilst you get yourself settled here? Many of the big IT places have recruitment freezes on and have done for a year or two... Modis is a IT agency here, believe that The Agency also have some IT vacancies reasonably regularly...

Not in the dept hes looking for.

Call Centre, yes, and until the last few years even the call centre staff were extremely loyal. Networks & OPs? Not so much. The majority of their back end staff have been there for 5+ yrs or longer. I wouldnt call that a high turnover rate.

WANDisco, iBuildings, and BT are hiring.

Good luck.

Theres not a huge IT market here, but it is growing...