Fulwood Cottage Children's home/orphanage.

Hi all my grandfather was in fulwood cottage homes from 1910 until he was apprenticed to a cobbler in huddersfield when he left. He hardly ever spoke about his time in the home and it was only after his death that his best friend told us what he had gone through and he apparently had an horrendous time in there. He had terrible scars all over his body that looked like whip marks and he was also scalded very badly whilst in there, he suffered all his life from blackouts and fits and his friend said this was due to what he had gone through. Things did not get any better when he left for huddersfield as the man who hw went too was also very cruel to him, so much so he left and walked bare foot from huddersfield to stocksbridge where he collapsed in the street and the friend mentioned above found him and took him to their home and he stayed with them until he married my gran. I have always wanted to find the truth of why he was in the home as far as we know his mother died in 1917 and have no idea what happened to his father, I think the story of the homes should carry on as at the end of the day it is a part of our history too.

My mother Joan knight was in there, along with her brother Albert and her sisters may and Margaret..I'm sure that place is responsible for my mother been so hard and unapproachable..she went in at 2 years around 1937/8...

---------- Post added 05-12-2017 at 21:00 ----------

I also have records of her history..records and such and there ate lots of other peoples names also on the he records.

Hi Rob,

Just at work at the moment...

When I get ho e later I will look and see f I can find the name....

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 09:32 ----------

Hi Rob,

Later when I get home I will have a look and see if the name is mentioned. It will be much later tonight so please bare with me..

did anyone know a Brian in the Fulwood homes???? he was there  from 1940 til when I dont know, all I know he was put in a home when he was about 3 I think.......he was dad, he was from Sheffield, does anyone know where I can also get records? I thought he was in Barnados homes but they have no record of him there. 

Hi this is my first post,does anybody have any info on Norman Wild who was at Fullwood Cottage Homes at around 1939 onwards aged 14 much appreciated if you do Thanks.

I was in Fulwood Cottage Homes for a few months, while my Mum was ill in hosp. Being just at the top of the village, I was quite happy to be there. In 1957/58 it wasn't all that bad then. We had a small Playroom, a Telly in the livingroom, plenty of Food, and a Play Park opposite the house I was in at the bottom. I became school age during my time there, travelling on a single deck bus with other children to Broomhill School. On Sat mornings sometime we had Cartoon Pics in the Hall at the top, which was also Chapel. We were taken to a Christmas Party in the Dance Hall at the City Hall, I remember big thick pillars, a shiney wood floor, and sitting on Santa's knee.

Two things I do remember Mum was cross about, my best Red Patent shoes had Gold buckles on, one came off, instead of sewing it back, 'they threw them away'.

After we had a 'Nurse Check' we'd had our hair cut. My Mum went 'ballistic', when she saw me, as they'd cut all my curls off to 'pudding basin style.'

On 27/11/2005 at 23:02, cottam said:

Hello Thursday Frank is in charge of the ledgers that were kept by the council for the children that were addmited to the homes ther will also be records kept at the Shefield archives tel 01142039395 god luck keep in touch.

who is Frank and where would I find him my dad and his brothers were in Fulwood not exactly sure of the year but they were their a while so I'm led to believe would love to find out more 

23 minutes ago, sparkymark said:

who is Frank and where would I find him my dad and his brothers were in Fulwood not exactly sure of the year but they were their a while so I'm led to believe would love to find out more looking back at the threads My Dad as been mentioned on a couple of occasions, but I would love to find out more if it's possible cheers