Fulwood Cottage Children's home/orphanage.

Thursday, I think that PT means The Forum.

Thanks for your pm

regards Pete.

Dear Pete,

Oh.

re. Plain Talker

There is actually a picture of a woman with a big smile, and a caption that says "joined in Feb. '04 Sharrow/Netheredge".

I've just realised that you probably know that anyway, but all this computer communication is so new to me, I can't really keep up with it, (being rather old, and better with a pen and paper!)

But again, a big Thankyou for putting me on the right track.

Best wishes, Thursday.

Hi Thursday

I've a copy of the book Cottam mentioned. Does any of this ring a bell? The homes were run from 1926 to 1951 by Mr Lionel & Mrs Freda Hildreth, who ran them until they retired. They were followed by Mr & Mrs Harry Brook who ran the homes until they were closed in 1960.The author mentions talking to some former 'Old Boys', one called Barry Clark who went there in the late 40's.She also mentions that the records of the Homes would not be available for reference until 1996.

In later years the children attended Nether Green School and other schools, some going by bus to Pomona Street. In the 40's and 50's the children were taken on annual holidays, camping by the coast, particularly to Marsk and Withernsea.

Hello Thursday Frank is in charge of the ledgers that were kept by the council for the children that were addmited to the homes ther will also be records kept at the Shefield archives tel 01142039395 god luck keep in touch.

Dear Algy,

Delighted to read your response. I've seen this book referred to elsewhere, but haven't had a chance to read it.

I was there in the mid/late '40s to about 1950, but I'm afraid I can't remember any names of children or staff.

I know the name "Nether Green" featured quite strongly in my early years, but I've never really understood why, or in what context.

This is what I am hoping to clarify and come to terms with.

I've made a note of the title of the book and will investigate the possibilities of getting hold of a copy: (not likely to have it in a Sussex library!)

Thankyou again,

Yours, Thursday.

Hi Thursday

Don't want to plunge you into the Internet too deeply at this stage, but I bought my copy of the book for a couple of pounds on eBay, so it's worth a look. To be honest, there's only the last few pages of the book about the Fulwood Cottage Homes. If you can't get hold of a copy I don't mind copying the relevant stuff and PM'ing or emailing it to you. Let me know if that would help.

Regards

Algy

Dear Algy,

Thankyou for your response. I'll have a look on eBay: I have also got the number for Sheffield Archives, who may have me on their (ancient!) records.

I'll let you know how I get on: it was very kind of you to offer

to send the information you have.

I can't believe how kind total strangers have been!

Best wishes,

Thursday.

Dear Algy,

Your remarks about some children going by bus to school brought a rush of memories!

I remember standing at a bus stop, with four or five other little girls. We had plastic "tokens" for our bus fares: they were blue or brown, according to your age. I can't remember which colour I had, but I was much younger than the others, who all had the same colour. We used to tap our tokens on the bus stop pole, and chant "Bus come quickly, we're waiting patiently", over and over again, until some passing adult told us to behave ourselves.

I wonder if Cottam (who was also there) remembers this!!

There is also a photograph of me and half a dozen grim faced

adults by a sandcastle: I wonder if this would have been one of the holidays you mentioned?

I'm going to ring the Archive office tomorrow (visitors today, I'm afraid!)

I'll let you know what happens,

Thanks again,

Thursday.

Dear Algy and others

The only problem with the book about FCH is that it was written with very rosy coloured specs. It makes out it was like disney land paris in there. All sugar and spice and all things nice whereas in reality it was more like oliver twist for a lot of the kids. Even the title - for the love of children - suggests that there was some kind of caring going on, but it doesn't mention the beatings, locking in cellars and all the rest of it.

On a more cheerful note, most of the photos in the book are viewable on picturesheffield if anyone is interested or can't get hold of a copy. Just search for fulwood cottage homes on there and there's about seven photos I think if memory serves.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Thursday because she deserves to find some answers after all this time.

All the best

cottam67

I've seen a copy of the book. Fulwood cottage homes looks more like a concentration camp than a childrens home. I pity the poor children who were there as it looks awful.

Dear Lavender,

Thanks for your response about FCH.

It was pretty grim: I remember being smacked (beaten?) an awful lot, and I think we were nearly always hungry, although that could be partly down to the "big ones" who grabbed the lion's share.

If you're interested, I could tell you more about it.

Yours, Thursday.

Hi Cottam

I have to agree the book does make it sound like an Enid Blyton story, and from your comments and Thursday's it sounds to have been anything but.

Thursday and Cottam,

there's obviously some interest in your story judging by this thread. Why not write down what you remember, there are probably many people who would like to read it, and you may spark other people into opening up too. From what you say I get the feeling there are memories that have been shut away for a long time. It can be good to let them out at last, and there seems to be a balance that needs redressing in what's been written about the homes.