Confused about school starting for my little girl..

Hi everyone,

I'm mega confused about all this when my daughter will start school info.

I've tried looking it up on directgov and the council website but it doesn't seem to give me the information that I'd like.

My daughter is 3 (her birthday was in May) and she will be starting nursery in a couple of weeks.

I know this may sound premature but how and when do I go about signing her up to the school that I'd like her to go to?

Also, according to her birth date, when would she be due to start school?

Being the first time I have had to deal with this it is all rather confusing, so some advice, help, websites would be fab from anyone!

Thanks!

DW x

She will start school next sept, the same as my DD2 (who was 3 in July)

School application letters should be sent out sometime in the next month...or you can go to your local primary school and collect an application pack from start of October, (you can also apply on line from that date) You have to apply by middle of January and find out what place you have in April!!

You will be asked for your 3 choices of primary school, which if like me you don't want your child to go to catchment school then I would suggest finding 3 that you happy with, if you only put the 1 that you want (assuming it isn't catchment school) you may not get in and then the council will give you a place somewhere that has space.

Hope this makes sense...I had to do it all 3 years ago for DD1, Now have to go through it all again for DD2 and hope like mad she gets the same school as her sister!!! lol!

Edited by camum

Thank you for your response camum!

Do you happen to know of the website for the online application?

devilwoman

the application form for sheffield is on the council website .

My little girl was 3 in May and I was told that she wouldn't be starting school till January 2013!

Hmm, that's odd! I haven't a clue really. Not fully enquired about it, but thought I'd net snoop first.

It's baffling me to hell!

They start school the term after they turn 4 as far as I know.

Yep! up until this year it depended when your little ones birthday was as to whether they started in Sept or Jan of the year they were 5, but now it is up to parents to decide and all children can now start the September after they are 4! (unfortunately for my DD2 this will mean she will just be 4 a month and half before she can start school BIG DECISION for me on that one!!!)

My son was 4 in May!

He should have started Reception in January 2012, however this is the first year in which 4 year olds can start reception early.

My choices were

Start Reception in September 2011

Start Reception in January 2012

Start Reception in April 2012

Start School in September 2012

You will get the same choices, you can, if you want skip Reception.

I choose to send my son from this September - He starts Tomorrow.

yeah my daughter was 4 this may and under the old rules she would have gone into FS2 (foundation stage 2, same as reception) in jan 2012 but since the rules changed she will be starting tomorrow.