Fishing on sheffield rivers/ canals

I just wondered if it is any good to access the 'Claywheels Lane' river from Middlewood Road. Anybody know? Which river is this - not managed to find a name on it on the on-line maps.

Hi Martyn

I presume it's the river Don at Claywheels lane;)

Sorry, Can't help with access...

Biggsy :)

there's a footbridge opposite the middlewood tavern for access to the river. you can also park in oughtibridge and walk down the side of the football/cricket pitch.

I park up the end of claywheels lane

fished the river here the last 2 sundays, and although last sunday was very difficult due to crystal clear water & very bright sun, I'll be back this weekend

from here you can walk all the way up to Oughtibridge

there's some very nice runs up at oughtibridge, although it's some years since I fished it round there

Hi Martyn

I presume it's the river Don at Claywheels lane;)

Sorry, Can't help with access...

Biggsy :)

Yes. You're right, it's the Don. Thanks.

I park up the end of claywheels lane

fished the river here the last 2 sundays, and although last sunday was very difficult due to crystal clear water & very bright sun, I'll be back this weekend

from here you can walk all the way up to Oughtibridge

there's some very nice runs up at oughtibridge, although it's some years since I fished it round there

Now the summer seems gone and its becoming colder and less hospitable I may get a bit more adventurous .... Why did I wait! Thanks for the info.

In my experience, the higher up the river you go the less course fish there are - theres a couple of good chub swims around thurgoland (back of bramalls and the tin mill) but I've always caught a better variety of fish from hilsborough and further downstream with the Oughtibridge section being the least productive of em all.

There seems to be a lot less course fish since the floods - it makes you wonder why or where they may have gone as the river is still stuffed with trout and grayling.

i've not had a roach from the beeley wood stretch since the flood.

Interesting comments. I had a lovely Perch out from Beeley area. Other than that all Trout and Grayling. I only had one good day on the first of 3 or 4 visits though. I wondered what had happened any of the fish after that day!

me neither Charliewag - the river also used to be full of Gudgeon below Beeley Wood - in fact only course fish I've caught since flood are dace and chub and not as many minnows

Have a walk from Woodhouse Mill to Beighton the river Rother has some very good swims for Chub & Barble.