Fishing on sheffield rivers/ canals

i,m looking to fish the river , probably down through hillsborough, neepsend way ? i havent fished the river apart from very locally , at oughtibridge, since the floods. pre floods, i used to go to the wier near winn gardens where there were some big fish to be had . i,m particularly after good sized barbel. any tips anyone. i want to take my 12 yr old who, upto now has only been with friends. and not caught much. been to marshals .up loxley. but seems to be off up there at mo.

youll probably have more joy in the fishing section

youll probably have more joy in the fishing section

err this is the fishing section

plenty of fish to be caught around neepsend / hillfoot bridge though it's not very picturesque due to the fly tipping. not much flow at the moment but you'll still catch trout and grayling with the chance of chub, roach, perch and perhaps a barbel. maggot will get you plenty of bites or sit it out for bigger fish with a big worm or luncheon meat.

plenty of fish to be caught around neepsend / hillfoot bridge though it's not very picturesque due to the fly tipping. not much flow at the moment but you'll still catch trout and grayling with the chance of chub, roach, perch and perhaps a barbel. maggot will get you plenty of bites or sit it out for bigger fish with a big worm or luncheon meat.

Thanks for posting that. I will give it a go. It's great to be able to fish these rivers for the odd hour and a bit of fun without the hefty pond charges. Shame the spots are so 'ugly' though!

isn't it? i took the dog down into beeley wood this morning and i saw evidence of fly tipping though not as bad as around hillfoot bridge.

Not so ugly down Clay Wheels lane.

Yes. I've had a good look down Claywheels Lane / Beeleywood. I was surprised to get no bites trying around the Claywheels bridge. There are not many places to get to the river on Beeleywood. I fished at the end of that road. Good fun in the pool after the drop from the weir, but the fish were so wary! Can see them, but they don't take the critical maggot! In the river beyond the weir the fish had no interest in my bait either, assuming there are some..... Perhaps I'm just a rubbish fisherman - I only play at it! It is sad to see all the decomposing rubbish and black plastic bags on Beeleywood road. I'll check out Hillfoot soon. Thanks for the tips.

I just wondered if it is any good to access the 'Claywheels Lane' river from Middlewood Road. Anybody know? Which river is this - not managed to find a name on it on the on-line maps.

theres a couple of pegs just past the gardeners rest pub iv had trout grayling and barble been broke 4 times by something i couldnt stop even on 5pound line im convinced its a big barble

isn't it? i took the dog down into beeley wood this morning and i saw evidence of fly tipping though not as bad as around hillfoot bridge.

I have no doubt what you say is true, it must be fifteen years since I was last down there it's a shame, but it seem people will dump anything anywhere.

I used to park at the factory at the end of c w lane then walk past the factory down the path to the first big tree on the river bank.

If you check the depth there it's about 4' & there's a wall under the water going about 40 degrees across the river up stream, this was a good swim for Roach. It's very shallow to the right of this wall.

theres a couple of pegs just past the gardeners rest pub iv had trout grayling and barble been broke 4 times by something i couldnt stop even on 5pound line im convinced its a big barble

I'd not have much hope with my 2 1/2 Lb line! I'll check that spot out soon and thanks for the tip. The Gardeners Rest is on Neepsend I believe. I also wondered if there are good spots accesssible from Middlewood Road going out toward Oughibridge.