Graphics tablet

So im thinking of buying a wacom bamboo graphics tablet but before i do i just wondered are they actually any good?

I'll be honest and say the only reason i want it is PURE gadgetry

They are OK and the touch pad navigation functionality is nice, but...

If you are serious about a drawing tablet, get a Wacom Intuos. They cost at least three times as much as a Bamboo but are well worth it -you can get A5, A4 and A3 sizes. The Bamboo is A5 or A6, half as sensitive and the pen is nowhere near as good, it really does feel cheap.

I realize the cost sounds off-putting but if you do a lot of Photo retouching or graphics, you will wish that you paid the extra for the Intuos.

The Intuos also allows you to use the other optional Wacom pens that simulate the feel of an airbrush, marker pens etc. bamboo only works with the pen that it comes with.

A couple of tips:

you will need at least an hour of practice to get used to drawing whilst looking at the screen instead of your hand.

Hover the pen in the centre of the tablet so you see its cursor and move to the area you want to draw on based on that.

Most of all, have fun.

ETA: Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom I know, Wikipedia. But it is accurate and not trying to sell you something.

Edited by VideoPro

There's a pc world discount store in Chesterfield a retail park next to queens park selling these real cheap

Yep, they're great but I'd probably get a second hand one as it will soon gather dust when the novelty wears off.

They're brilliant if you use the appropriate software (artrage is fun, but a good tablet excels in photoshop and illustrator) - for desktop computing and general duties, you'll use the mouse.

If you do any photo retouching, you'll love it. If you like drawing freehand in vectors, you'll love it. If you use spreadsheets a lot, it will do your head in.

Inkling is looking like it's going to solve a load of my problems if it works.

That's been a long time coming! Everything up til now seems to have relied on "special paper" - but this could be great fun.

I'd still want a tablet though, just for the joy of having an invisible pen (onscreen your hand and pen do not obscure the media) and microscopes for eyes (with a tablet and the software, you can zoom in and out of your image almost without limit (anyone remember xRes?))

I got one of these

http://www.techdigest.tv/2007/05/wacom_bamboo_co.html

I have found it an interesting punt as I only paid about £30 and it's definitely a fun little bit of kit. However, I would get much more out of a bigger one. But @ 10x £ they are beyond my means! The quality is still very nice and i'm told only gets better with the intuos range.