Taxi overcharge

lol RCA doesnt exist anymore its now CITY. PHOENIX, R.D, LOCAL and RCA all merged!

anyway the next time you think you are been overcharged tell the driver to give you a recipt and also to write his callsign on the recipt (they all carry recipts ready to give to customers if they ask for one.)

take the recipt upto the office on CITY ROAD and im positive they will refund you the diffrence! simple.

Talking of taxis, who are the best?

I know city are cheaper than mercury, but in beighton ive seen a "shellys cars" sticker on some taxis but missed number, anyone got there number at all?

Moved from Rotherham to sheffield, and the price for taxis are ridiculous! Do council charge a set amount minumum per mile etc? Journey from my old house to chapeltown from a rotherham taxi was £6.70, journey hone in a sheffield taxi was £9.20!

About 3 years ago I got a taxi from Sheffield train station to Stanington and was charged £10. I was expecting to pay about £6 or something, but I'd just come from Leeds hospital where my baby son was in so I was just glad to be home.

To be honest that post didn't ring true to me. Perhaps a bit of a keyboard warrior rather than a "chavvy gangsta wannabe" their trying to make out they are.

this made me smile im no "chavvy gangsta wannabe" love im near 50 years old and run my own company with my wife and kids so i dont class my self as any type of gangsta keyboard what ever you must mummbling about

the same happened to me a few weeks ago the trip i do normally cost around £9-£11 depending on if i stop at a shop on the way and the last time i used r.c.a he tried charging me £17 anyway after some uffing and puffing and me standing my ground .well cut a long story short the taxi driver ended up face down on the floor next to his taxi and was still there 20 mins later when i popped out again never heard owt since lol

Why,did he trip up?

Actually, last week, we got a Mercury taxi home from Hillsborough, as I refuse to use RCA after the above posted incident, and the taxi driver told my OH if he could knock him out, we could have the taxi for free. OH laughed and said come on then, lets get out. The taxi driver then pulled up at the junction of Myrtle road and prospect road, and actually got out, leaving the car running, and said "come on then, knock me out" :hihi: We could have just stolen his car or anything, or actually knocked him out. He was a nice chap too, had a laugh all the way home with him, and he said "I WON'T ROB YOU PAL, SHOULD BE £9.70, YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR £9". They are now my first choice for taxis :hihi:

I wouldnt worry Leah,Sounds like you can afford regular taxi trips to me.So i take it your Oh lost the fight then, if you ended up paying?

I went into B&Q once and this guy in orange came up to me and said do you want decking,luckily i got the first punch in.

Edited by Total Chaos

this made me smile im no "chavvy gangsta wannabe" love im near 50 years old and run my own company with my wife and kids so i dont class my self as any type of gangsta keyboard what ever you must mummbling about

You need to grow up a little then. If what you say you did was true you come accross as someone who thinks with their fists and if your story was a joke it wasn't a good one. IMO

I wouldnt worry Leah,Sounds like you can afford regular taxi trips to me.So i take it your Oh lost the fight then, if you ended up paying?

I went into B&Q once and this guy in orange came up to me and said do you want decking,luckily i got the first punch in.

LOL he would have lost if he hadn't just sat there in the car looking very bemused, I think he was quite scared really, this big 6ft asian guy offering him a fight :hihi:

Mercury are the best apart from the muppet who answered their phone last Friday:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Mercury are the best apart from the muppet who answered their phone last Friday:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Mercury are far from the best in my experience.

I was once on a night out with a group of people with learning difficulties as a chaperone (so I had to remain sober). As it was easier for me to get a taxi home from the venue, after the last one had left I called Mercury for a taxi and was told 10mins.

An hour later and I was still at the venue. I called again and was told that I never called and that I was drunk and mistaken and that with "my attitude" I wasn't going to get a taxi.

Mercury are far from the best in my experience.

I was once on a night out with a group of people with learning difficulties as a chaperone (so I had to remain sober). As it was easier for me to get a taxi home from the venue, after the last one had left I called Mercury for a taxi and was told 10mins.

An hour later and I was still at the venue. I called again and was told that I never called and that I was drunk and mistaken and that with "my attitude" I wasn't going to get a taxi.

I had a similar thing with Express, who I had found to be really good previously. I wasn't on my way home though, I was on the way out. Had to be where I was going at 7pm, rang the taxi at 6.15, was told 15 minutes. Perfect I thought. So I went and stood outside to wait. 6.30pm passed, got to 6.45. Rang the office "Its on its way" (the usual lie). Stood there until 7pm, rang back, and she told me it had just been, which it clearly hadn't, as I was stood waiting. She said she would send him back. I rang back at about 7.20, as there was still no taxi, and she said I was the next one out. It finally arrived at about 7.50pm, and the driver said he had only just come on, and this was his first job, which he had just been called to from Meadowhall. So the first however many taxis she had sent (or not sent) didn't even exist. Haven't used them since, and they were my favourite at one time.

Taxi drivers are self employed and keep every penny they receive in fares. They pay their company 'Radio Rent'. A fixed sum for the radio in return for being given jobs off it. It makes no difference whether the driver takes £100 or £1000 per week in fares the radio rent is the same.

You may have been overcharged. Ask for a receipt showing £, mileage and callsign and date. If you want to contest there and then, then look at his odometer (speedo) and note the mileage and then ask to look at his rate card. He will then have to show what that mileage should have cost. There are other factors though like waiting time to be taken into consideration. A black cab may cost more even though its a private hire company. The private hire company will want a black cab of theirs to charge company rates but the council says thats breaking the law. A black cab is still ahackney and should be metered so it should run on a meter even when it it is working for a private hire company. This will cost more and can cause conflict.

I am an ex taxi driver and always charged the mileage cost and had the guts to charge waiting time if there any. I had loads of customers disputing the correct fare and always proved it was right. Waiting time was hard to get and so was the difference between Mercury fares and DB who was always 50p cheaper.

Some drivers do try it on though mainly the one with beards if you know what I mean lol.