Annual scout camps

I have just returned from the east coast and drove past Danes Dyke which reminded me of the scout annual camp in the late 50s,early 60s.

We went to various places including the above,Cromer and SW Ireland ,and the transport for the gear and the campers was always a Caudles removal lorry.There was always a mad scramble to get into that recess over the cab.I don't think that this would be considered a suitable mode of transport nowadays,not to mention the various other pursuits that we were able to get up to as 11 to 15 year olds,such as paddling li-los across a lake in Killarney,and abseiling down cliffs on the east coast.

We used to arrive back scruffy,exhausted and starving hungry.

WE used to go to camp in a Sheaf Motors Luton van. Those were happy times.

Not really an annual camping trip, but we (10th. Sheffield, Mount Tabor) were regular visitors to Thorpe Hesley, just outside Chapeltown. Mostly weeekends, but occasionally for a week or so.

I have just returned from the east coast and drove past Danes Dyke which reminded me of the scout annual camp in the late 50s,early 60s.

We went to various places including the above,Cromer and SW Ireland ,and the transport for the gear and the campers was always a Caudles removal lorry.There was always a mad scramble to get into that recess over the cab.I don't think that this would be considered a suitable mode of transport nowadays,not to mention the various other pursuits that we were able to get up to as 11 to 15 year olds,such as paddling li-los across a lake in Killarney,and abseiling down cliffs on the east coast.

We used to arrive back scruffy,exhausted and starving hungry.

I remember Danes Dyke late 40s with 11th Pitsmoor troop big house 3 above St Cathrines Church Burngreave we also did camps opp Crown Inn Grenoside in the woods great memories

went with Frechville scouts with Louis Mcnamarra (leader) to a camp somewhere near Ashbourne about 1956-near a big lake--first day there was a big pot of tripe and onions -it was still there when we left--dib --dib--dib

231st Shiregreen, used to have weekends at Hesley Woods and annual camps. Some I remember - Marthom ' 62 (Norfolk Broads); Barmston '63 (nr Brid') ; Kingstown '64 (nr Deal) Sandringham for the jamboree in '65.

From memory I think a large pole fell on a scouts head and fractured his skull whilst erecting a tri-frame at Kingsdown, I think the lads name was Murphy, can't remember his first name, he had a younger brother also in the scouts.

Scout master was Harry Kelford, Charlie King was I think head scout for south yorkshire,

I remember Danes Dyke late 40s with 11th Pitsmoor troop big house 3 above St Cathrines Church Burngreave we also did camps opp Crown Inn Grenoside in the woods great memories

I too remember the annual camps with the 11th Pitsmoor, we used to travel on the back of a lorry on top of all the kit bags. We had a great time building rope bridges across the river as well as other activities.

I also remember the weekend camps at Grenoside woods.

I don't remember all the scoutmasters but Mr. Marshall and Mr. (Brer) Fox come to mind. A few names that I do remember are Leeson, Whitworth, Ashton, Middleton, Silcock, Hawley, Boyle, Postlethwaite, Ollenrenshaw et al

Edited by Gerry

Hi Jonesey remember Sandringham and year after Westward Ho (Devon) tent poles down middle of coach (Trevor Carnell) driver, can't place you at the moment.

I backed out of going to Westward Ho, much to Harry Kelfords dismay, my last camp was Sandringham. In the next field at Sandringham was a troop led by our ex scout master - Father Blyth. I tried a few months in the senior scouts but other distractions - work, night school etc, OH and the obvious were looming on the horizon.

Names I recall - Pete Wilson; Phil Taylor; Paul Walker and I think two brothers called Woofenden?

Apart from Hesley Woods where we were regular visitors there were several other places that we used for short breaks ,some of which still seem to be in use.

Bells Box.. A purpose built cabin with bunk beds somewhere near Hathersage.

Gillott Hey Farm....somewhere on the Snake I think.

Gradbach...a bit further away towards Buxton?

There was also a place somewhere around Edale / Hope area which I think was owned by a Mr Chadburn (opticians).i remember a lovely house with peacocks in the garden,and his Rhodesian ridgeback dog(s ).Also that the railway line ran alongside the field that we camped in.

As young teens we had some great times and freedom to get away at weekends and in the school holidays.

Looking back it seems that the sun was always shining.

Just a thought,we always took our sheath knives with 8 inch blades with us.I don't think we would get far carrying those nowadays.

Jonesey, Hi

I remember Father Blyth and Harry Kellford, I was troup leader at 231st and went to the 11th world jamboree at Marathon in Greece, I remember the names you mension also Barney Knowles, Charles King GSM. George Stocks, Paul Brailsford rings a bell as well.

Did you go to Sandringham in a coach? My father (Walter Morris) drove a coach to Sandringham for 231st for the Jamboree.Do you remember selling christmas cards to help fund the building of the existing scout hut.

Edited by Daveg0cgs