Stradbroke Memories

Hi I lived on Richmond hill Road then and went to Stradbroke school till 1956 then on to Brook till 1960.

I went to Stradbrooke School 1956ish till 1962ish.

Lovely Miss Dickinson was the headmistress. She used to walk round school with her poodle and always brought a few fireworks and bonfire toffee to school on Nov 5th. We'd stand in the playground to watch a little firework display. The teacher I remember most was Miss Vickers who married to become Mrs Lingard (or it might have been the oter way round) and in the juniors there was Mr Hyde and Mr Roberts and Mrs Hoey.

Happy days...

The headmaster inthe juniors was Mr Long

Although I lived in Stradbroke I went to Woodhouse west end school and then Rowlinson's

I lived on Smelter Wood Way 1951-60. Remember the "hollow," the "green hill" at the top of SW Way, and Smelter Woods as they used to be? I went to Woodhouse West school then High Storrs GS (Boys).

I lived on Stradbroke Rd til 1967. Went to Stradbroke Infants and Juniors 1953-1960. High Storrs Girls 1960-66.

I too remember the firework displays in the infants playground. I remember growing potatoes in the school garden.

No, that name dosn't ring a bell.

Does anyone know what year exactly the Stradbroke estate opened? We were one of the first residents. I think, but am not sure, that it was 1950. Am I right? I've googled and got nowhere. Need the info for a piece I'm writing. thanks.

OMG ........ i wondered where he ended up :), I'll PM you

I lived on the stradbroke, going to stradbroke school around 1973 ..... following on to Brook. I left stradbroke in 1989 but my parents are still there .... ravenscroft. It was a great place to grow up :thumbsup:

Hiya Pinklady where abouts did you live on Ravenscroft ?

Hi Belstar If your brother is Eddy Highfield he was in the same class as me and if I remember right he was very good at swimming.

Hi silly, yes he was a very good swimmer and i think he swam for the school. I was only little then as he is 9 years older than me.

I remember mum telling me he was swimming for the school one time and parents were invited but he had never told her that he could dive, and he nearly gave her a heart attack when he dove off the top board lol. I could never do that, I can't even dive off the side of the baths it scares me to death.

He is still a pain in the butt big brother but i love him lol, and looking forward to his 65th birthday in november this year.

Hi, everyone. I tried to channel this request through an existing thread but I fear it has already got lost and will probably get overlooked. Fair enough. I'll give it a thread by itself. If nobody knows the answers to the questions I'm asking it can just slip down the listings. The other Stradbroke thread is best used for back and forth about topics unrelated to this request.

I'm writing about my childhood growing up in Sheffield. It would be premature to say what will happen to the piece but I'd like to think it will be published. Your help is greatly appreciated from time to time in uncovering specific facts that I've long since forgotten. This forum gave me a wealth of information about Duke street, for example.

* We were one of the first occupants of the Stradbroke estate. Does anyone know the year that the estate opened? Was it 1950 or 51? How would I find out? I can find nothing online.

*Were any other housing estates going up around the same time? I seem to recall Hackenthorpe. It was a period of intense building activity as there were a lot of people displaced by the war.

* After the war a lot of prefab housing went up. Any idea when that was? I'm guessing '46 - '49

Again, my thanks

Edited by soft ayperth

Hi Bellstar, Yes he was brilliant him and Gerald Parkin used to amaze me as I was also frightened to jump in. I have just been talking to my hubby about him as he was in the same class as him at Brook has name is Richard Hill next time you see him ask him if he remembers us.