Lost Pub, LOCAL FIELDS ,149 Attercliffe Road

Sorry my Gran was born at The Royal George 167 Greystock Street. Siren said their family's house on Greystock street pulled down 1860 to make way for new steel work's I was just replying to them . Case of wires crossed, shall we start again ? But what you asked could have applied to my Step mum Elsie as she was born on Princess Street in 1908 . YES before anyone get's there calculators out, my Dad was a toyboy before the term was even invented . In fact Elsie went to School with my Gran ! And if you want to be even more confused my dad's mum , my paternal grandmother used to go to the George to babysit my maternal grandmother . Ive got a very confusing family !

Hi Dunks

Yes I've got the dates right just looked at a birth certificate my Gt Grandfather was born in Greystock St on the 9th August 1861 The house where they lived was replaced by part of Firth Browns or Spear and Jackson, I think Firths had to build new houses, they were sued because a big hammer they used made the houses unsafe. The house your gran lived in was probably one of the new ones. These houses were also damaged by the Sheffield Flood in 1864.

With regard to SG I know who you mean he was always a suspect but no evidence was available, if your gran was right it means two innocent men were hanged, thats sad.

Siren

Hi Siren, Yes it was sad , but going on other things my gran said they should have been hung for something else just didnt get caught . Think grans guilt was more to do with who didnt get hung for it . She said he was a very nasty man . One thing I didnt belive was that the pub she was born at was nicknamed The Flood because the flood waters had filled the cellars that night. Going on your info she was right , AGAIN !

Hi Dunks

Yes I've got the dates right just looked at a birth certificate my Gt Grandfather was born in Greystock St on the 9th August 1861 The house where they lived was replaced by part of Firth Browns or Spear and Jackson, I think Firths had to build new houses, they were sued because a big hammer they used made the houses unsafe. The house your gran lived in was probably one of the new ones. These houses were also damaged by the Sheffield Flood in 1864.

With regard to SG I know who you mean he was always a suspect but no evidence was available, if your gran was right it means two innocent men were hanged, thats sad.

Siren

wat murder looked on internet using the clues given cant find a thing any sf's know wat their on about

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2004 at 17:52, DUNKS said:

Yes I do know '' who dunit '' but dont think I should name names, do you ? Tell you what I'll go half way S.G does that help ? By the way the weapon was never found, every one thinking it got thrown into the don on S.G's get away. But my gran saw that too. Down a cellar grate , a friend of '' his '' seeing as no one said '' look what I've found ''. Have you got your date right ? 1860, only street still intact 1908 when my gran was born .

So sad, they were my great uncles. Our family stories swear they were innocent. I've been researching it a lot and lots of people are saying SG, so found this very interesting and ties in with my family 'evidence'.

Not to confuse but wasn't the Plumpers pub at the corner of Sutherland Street and Greystock Street, and Corby Street ran parallel  between there and Princess Street, might that help ?

Edited by St Petre

The only Pub I know that backed onto Princess Street from was The Rawsons Arms but that was 165-175 Attercliffe Road. The pub you are searching for must have been on the other side of the arches further towards Town so couldn’t have backed onto Princess Street, it was probably backing onto Greystock Street. There was a pub called The Railway on Lovell Street that backed onto Princess Street but that’s obviously not the one you want. I lived on Princess Street from1943 but I can’t remember a pub there, it may have been before my time. 

From  https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/10056-pubs-thread-christmas-2010-update/?tab=comments#comment-79109

Local Fields Tavern

Address 151 Attercliffe Road (Tinsley Road in 1871 and 1881)

Earliest 1864.

Closed 1932.

1864. Thomas Newey (Burton Head) (F)

1871. Joseph Habbajam (Beerhouse)

1881. Charles Chappell

1891. George Ward

1892. George Ward

1893. George Ward

1901. Charles Pearson

1902. Charles Pearson

1903. Charles Pearson

1904. Charles Pearson