Usain Bolt disqualified for false start..

I think we'll see the rule changed back now so that people can false-start once and not be disqualified.

The IAAF knows just how much interest Bolt generates; not having him in the final is an utter disaster for them, not just for him.

I dont have much sympathy for Bolt. He comes across as cocky and arrogant!

He is great for the sport though, and very very fast. They must surely roll back to the old system now, losing someone who would have literally blitzed everyone else in the field.

The system has worked very well in the world of competition swimming once the competitors got used to the idea that false starting meant being disqualified.

These days in swimming it's very unusual indeed to see a false start unless something has gone wrong with the starting equipment when everybody is called back, and nobody complains about the system because everybody is governed by the same rules.

The system has worked very well in the world of competition swimming once the competitors got used to the idea that false starting meant being disqualified.

Are there any swimming events, though, which take less than ten seconds?

The less time it takes for a race, the more important the start becomes. It's extremely rare to see a false start in athletics at anything over 200 metres, and even at 200m they're uncommon.

I did notice that someone false started in the women's marathon. I'm not even sure why that merits a warning let alone a disqualilfication - the idea that someone is trying to gain a 1/10-of-a-second advantage in a race lasting two and a half hours is a little laughable.

You can be as cocky and arrogant as you want when your as good as him.

he talks the talk and he also walks the walk...very very fast mind you

Could it be construed that he 'Shot his Bolt' too soon :-)