I dont understand why people still buy dvds have u heard of blu ray??

It appears to me that Blu-Ray enhances the picture and sound quality only. While film makers are focusing on these 2 aspects of their products they appear to be forgetting the essentials such as plot and characters. Most 'block busters' these days rely heavily on CGI plus extremely loud background music which enables the viewer to know what emotion they should be feeling.

Until such time as film makers go back to the basics of their art we will continue to be subjected to the sort of nonsense exemplified by POTC3.

I don't even notice a difference with Sky HD on my TV, and if I hadn't signed up for it to get the free box and set up deal, I wouldn't want to pay the extra £10.25 per month for it. If you can see the film, and hear the film, a DVD will suffice for most people.

It appears to me that Blu-Ray enhances the picture and sound quality only. While film makers are focusing on these 2 aspects of their products they appear to be forgetting the essentials such as plot and characters. Most 'block busters' these days rely heavily on CGI plus extremely loud background music which enables the viewer to know what emotion they should be feeling.

Until such time as film makers go back to the basics of their art we will continue to be subjected to the sort of nonsense exemplified by POTC3.

I know who is to blame, he's called Michael Bay, he's the devil incarnate for movie buffs and Christopher Nolan is our saviour. Mark Kermode discuses this very issue here, I agree with everything he says on POTC3, Michael Bay and Christopher Nolan

You saw that expecting a good plot?

I've watched several dvds and blu rays and can't tell the difference in quality. However i watched Avatar and one of the Potter films,on both dvd and blu ray simultaneously,with a slight time delay of about 20 seconds.

Simply pressing hdmi2 got me the dvd picture a few seconds after the bluray played on hdmi1. The differences were significantly noticeable to everyone watching.

You saw that expecting a good plot?

No, I watched it with extremely low expectations, and was still disappointed. Which is the point Kermode was making. People accept movies like POTC3 because of a phenomena he describes as "diminished expectations". Read his thoughts here.

Kermode concludes that for a movie to make it's money back, plus the promotional budget there is a formula that almost always works, as long as it's not a comedy.

a) an A-list star

b) eye-popping special effects

c) a newsworthy budget?

It used to be thought that any blockbuster movie cannot artistically ambitious and/or intellectually challenging as it would alienate sections of the potential audience, meaning that it will struggle to make it's money back. This was the formula that Michael Bay worked to.

Christopher Nolan has now come along and re-written this, as his first two Batman movies has made close to $1.5 billion for Warner Brothers, Inception then made around $800 million.

What is a POTC3?

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

With my eye sight doesnt matter if its vhs, dvd or Blue ray. ;):hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why should we pay to buy a Blu-Ray player when we're perfectly happy with the cheapie DVD player that we have?

Just because it is important to you to have these things doesn't mean that it's important to everybody. We all have our own priorities in this life and I don't run other people's priorities down, so please don't run mine down.

I bought a blu ray player yesterday for the forthcoming BR boxset of all 6 Star Wars movies, which is out on the 12th of September.

I officially want looking at, £90 on a player I'll only use for 6 discs! :loopy:

Can anyone recommend a good Blu Ray movie to buy? I have a wide selection of stuff on DVD including all the Star Wars movies, Kick Ass and other bits, I want a movie that will take advantage of my 1080p HD TV, not Avatar though, I've seen it and it's IMO one of the most overrated movies ever.

Edited by Rich
Asking another question

im quite happy with my dvds and i know where i can get dvds as cheap as £1-50 -£2