I dont understand why people still buy dvds have u heard of blu ray??

I have a blu ray player and some BD disks, but I usually buy DVD because they are cheaper. I usually only buy BD for particularly good films.

Why should we pay to buy a Blu-Ray player when we're perfectly happy with the cheapie DVD player that we have?

Just because it is important to you to have these things doesn't mean that it's important to everybody. We all have our own priorities in this life and I don't run other people's priorities down, so please don't run mine down.

i agree with this:hihi:

if it aint broke dont fix it i say.....why all this craving to have the latest technology.if what you have now is working fine for you...unless its going to save you money.

A lot of films from the 80s shot on Kodak show minimal difference tbh, Robocop and Predator being the major guilty parties. Only exception i've seen to that rule is Aliens, which got a maaaaajor clean up.

For me the sound is always great on blu ray though. DVD sound is utterly shocking.

A lot of films from the 80s shot on Kodak show minimal difference tbh, Robocop and Predator being the major guilty parties. Only exception i've seen to that rule is Aliens, which got a maaaaajor clean up.

For me the sound is always great on blu ray though. DVD sound is utterly shocking.

No it's not.

if it aint broke dont fix it i say.....why all this craving to have the latest technology.if what you have now is working fine for you...unless its going to save you money.

What I thought when told my nan has just invested in a 3D TV and blu-ray player :hihi:

Blu-ray only makes sense for large HD screens, and to an extent it's a format for film connoisseurs, especially for restored re-issues of old films. 'North By Northwest' is beautiful to see on BD, it looks so clean and natural, like it was shot yesterday.

But each new generation of technology doesn't automatically degrade what went before: sound didn't make silent films any less of an achievement, nor colour make monochrome films a waste of time. When I have the money and room for a decent sized telly and a bluray (or whatever is the standard by that time) then I'll get one, but until then I can still get what I want out of my DVD player and sometimes - because many films still aren't out on disc - my VHS.

There's no point comparing Sky HD with Bluray, sky HD is broadcast at a very low quality compared to Bluray, it might be HD in dimension but not quality. VirginHD is much better than sky but still not anywhere near Bluray quality.

You really do need to invest in good equipment if you are going to go down the Bluray route, you will never notice the difference in sound through your tv speakers, you need a full 7.1 amp setup to separate the channels, that really is what Bluray is designed for.

You need at least a 35" tv to start seeing the big difference in quality, it always makes me chuckle when pay a huge amount of money on a top of the range 50" tv but only feed standard broadcasts into them.

I tend to only buy new films on Bluray, if the film isn't shot on HD cameras then they will always struggle to upscale it to bluray quality, some have been done very well and look perfect, others fall short and have to rely on extra sharpening and film grain to get the bluray effect.

I tend to only buy new films on Bluray, if the film isn't shot on HD cameras then they will always struggle to upscale it to bluray quality, some have been done very well and look perfect, others fall short and have to rely on extra sharpening and film grain to get the bluray effect.

A film doesn't have to be shot on HD video to give 'bluray effect', it's simply a medium that's more able to convey the detail in a film than DVD. Certainly I don't want it to do away with film grain, which is a great part of the visual quality of film.

Edit: to answer the original question: 'because bluray discs are still too damned expensive'.

I have, and continue to buy, both DVDs and blu-rays. Most blu-rays I have bought are of favourite movies I have already bought on DVD, so in that respect I am a marketing department's perfect customer, or mug.

I bought my daughter the Twilight films on blu-ray and then had to download them for her because she couldn't play them where/when she wanted to. I will continue to buy most stuff on DVD because it is cheaper and more flexible. I can easily transfer video from DVD to iphone, or whatever format I want.

Yes the video is noticeably better on blu-ray than DVD, but I find I have to force myself to notice.

We might as well ask, "why do people buy tickets to watch the game from the kop when the view from the centre of the stand is so much better?"

was in hmv earlier (don't worry i don't buy my blu rays from there way to expensive just like to browse) and still see many people paying £13.99 for dvds , which some you can get the blu ray cheaper online and possibly even the blu ray and dvd combo for a pound or 2 more i just thought it was strange as blu rays have been available now for a few years, Since watching my first blu ray The Dark Knight i have been hooked and haven't bought a single dvd since. nowadays you can pick up blu rays from £3 why will people still wanna buy dvds.

What are your views do you still buy dvds

Why buy any disc, it's old fashioned technology just like tape or vinyl, have you heard of streaming, hard drives and flash drives as a medium!

I know I might seem a bit dim but can someone explain the difference between Blue-ray and DVD

Thanks