Sheffield Hallam University Student Union voted worlds ugliest building

Hvaing moved away from Sheffield in the last ten years but come back to visit for work from time to time, and working in the built environment, I actually think Sheffield has got lots of new innovative architecture. It is when you go somewhere infrequently that you notice the huge changes and improvements in a place - if you are there everyday you don't see it happening because it is at a snail's pace. Some of the new stuff doens't work, but hats off to the Council for promoting experimentation and innovatiobn, even if sometimes it falls flat.

Which is great, because the rest of the city is pig ugly.

When I saw on last weeks Panorama programme that Sheffield was 2nd to Birmingham in the league table of Car Insurance Fraud, I thought to myself, "typical we're always the bridesmaid but never the bride".

It's so good to finally win something at last.

:hihi:

those on the Moore or are they not counted 'cos they were pulled down?

If they were pulled down then they didn't fall down, hence they were brilliant buildings.

Well i may be wrong and you can correct me if so but is it not the planning dept that passes the plans for new erections in Sheffield!

And as far as having a downer on the city is concerned well to Sheffielders off a certain age the city is now becoming unrecognisable and the drastic changes are not for the better.

Many people i talk to seem to be of the opinion that stayons from the two universities are now shaping the city with little thought to the traditional Sheffield that we love.

Right that's it then everyone we MUST knock everything remotely new down as the coffin dodgers don't like change!

Your really are a pillock and that's putting it politely!

Unpopular centre for popular music. :D

If SCC had anything to do with it, Buildings like the Corn Exchange in leeds would have been pulled down years ago.

Edited by Greengeek

Right that's it then everyone we MUST knock everything remotely new down as the coffin dodgers don't like change!

Your really are a pillock and that's putting it politely!

Either you work for SCC or are extremely deluded (or both)

Few examples ...

Can you honestly say that the Jessop Building (Brookhill roundabout) is a masterpiece of aestheticism?

A totally uninspired piece of architecture which looks like its created by Kindergarten planners with an over exhuberence for wax crayons.

What a disgraceful edifice! ... covered in tacky plastic pastel coloured panels which are already showing their age with staining and cracks.

Just over the road is the Information Communications building. Initially it doesn't look too bad ... clad in verdigris covered copper panels.

Look closer and the attention to detail is awful! The (obviously very expensive) panels look like they've been fitted by a monkey with a hangover.

The rest of the building is tastefully crafted in painted breeze block ... awful!

Same goes for the Crucible ... awful painted breeze block facade with no sense of design whatsoever. The only redeeming factor to the entire monstrosity is the state of the art Dyson hand driers in the mens bogs (I presume ladies too).

Park Hill flats ... inspired by Le Corbusier and recognised as a masterpiece of concrete technology. Tastefully restored by crayon wielding planners with yellow, orange and red plastic cladding ... very sympathetic! (remove 'sym')

Also, I can understand why planners like to use stainless steel in the construction of buildings due to the city's heritage, but that ex music centre really makes a mockery of it! They couldn't even be bothered to curve the steel panels to make it the shape it's supposed to be! Hey great ... we have a revolving polyhedron! ... pathetic! When will people realise that stainless steel stains?

Cant wait to see how all our money's going to be wasted when (if) the new Moor's rebuilt ... I bet kid's will love it though!

Can you honestly say you like all this crap? Is this how you think architecture should represent our city? :huh:

Edited by Alcoblog

I actually like this building, at least it's interesting. It serves it's purpose well, not sure it deserves to be "the worst building in the world" as voted for by some tin-pot website I've never heard of anyway.

I can never get my head around all these people who moan about new buildings when they're a little out of the ordinary. Go and live in Milton Keynes if you want boring architecture.

Most of the buildings on west bar for example are far more aesthetically un-appealing than the NCPM

in who's opinion ? I think it looks brilliant

I agree; I'm rather fond of what I affectionately call "the dustbins". It just needs a bit of buffing-up, that's all.

I actually like this building, at least it's interesting. It serves it's purpose well, not sure it deserves to be "the worst building in the world" as voted for by some tin-pot website I've never heard of anyway.

I can never get my head around all these people who moan about new buildings when they're a little out of the ordinary. Go and live in Milton Keynes if you want boring architecture.

Most of the buildings on west bar for example are far more aesthetically un-appealing than the NCPM

Thank God that Park Hill was listed or we would have lost that as well if the Council could have had its way of course.

I cannot wait for the grand ribbon cutting as the detractors from the council along with many from the Architectural fraternity are on the front row grinning as though to save it was there idea after all.

Animal Farm comes to mind.

Thank God that Park Hill was listed ...

Stop it, cuttsie!

You just made me spit tea all over my keyboard!

Thank God that Park Hill was listed or we would have lost that as well if the Council could have had its way of course.

I cannot wait for the grand ribbon cutting as the detractors from the council along with many from the Architectural fraternity are on the front row grinning as though to save it was there idea after all.

Animal Farm comes to mind.

When the debate was raging about Park Hill I couldn't decide whether it would be better to re-furb them or pull them down to be honest.

I'm glad they were re furbished rather than pulled down as it's a massive part of Sheffield and people from all over the world know about park hill. I must say it looks a hundred times better now. anyone who thinks the grotty bricks looked better than the coloured panels is quite frankly delusional. The original may have even gone with such an option had the technology been available. If these people were around when Park hill was built they would probably be shouting about all the lovely back to back Victorian slums that should be preserved for future generations.

We have finally done it!

World recognition.Our fair city has just been awarded the worlds worst building title.

The building in question is what used to be the Centre for Popular Music on Paternoster Row.

So our town planners have done us proud they have pulled down the iconic oil in the road, The Wedding Cake, The Town Hall Extension etc, etc, and in there wisdom left us with the worlds worst building a building that they sanctioned in the first place you couldn't make it up!

Where is the link to this prestigious award?

Erm, I think you need your head testing if you think a hole, egg boxes and a bland circular building are something that warrants iconic status.