What to do for winter

I'm not sure if i've left it a bit late but I'd like to get some things planted for winter. I've got brussels, leeks and parsnips that will hopefully last through the winter but am looking for other ideas. I'd just like to make better use of the allotment this winter as last year all we had was two beds of leeks.

Thanks!

not to late at all

just planted my autumn onions ready next may

spring cabbage flower of spring if under cloches eat from xmas if not ready late feb

purple sprouting broccolli ready feb

winter lettuce must be covered

I've started off some All Year Round Cauliflower, kale, spinach and cabbage. I'll be planting my onion sets in September and the garlic in November/December. You can sow bored beans (oops sorry, broad beans) in September to overwinter and get your beans a few weeks earlier in the spring. I'm sowing more carrots while we have the warmer weather, may fleece them later on in the year if it's as cold as last winter. Hope you have some ideas now. Look around your allotment site and see who's planting what.

DO broad beans for wintering need to be under cloches?

That's if I have an allotment for winter...

broad beans are frost resistant but i sow mine end of feb seem to be ready same time as over wintered beans and give a heavier crop

You're right Rabitter the spring sown do sometimes catch up the overwintered ones. It was just a suggestion to fill some ground over winter. :) It also amazes me how hardy they are through the harshest conditions.

I recently bought 'How to Grow Winter Vegetables' by Charles Dowding - it is really inspiring and full of very useful advice and guidance. It has completely opened my eyes to what is possible. Best of luck with it all.

flo fennel

rather than planting stuff just because youve got empty land use this time to dig in your compost and watch for weeds coming up you can get their roots up when the plot is empty.cover with fleece jan then ready for the off march

If I didn't plant crops I could harvest, I'd be sowing green manure. Can't stand to see empty land when it could be producing something rabbiter. Each to their own.:)

flo

yea know the feeling hate winter all plants just stood waiting for lengthening daylight including me

I've sown kale, winter cabbage, carrot and spinach for autumn/winter