Post office messengers

I see from a post last year the name Alister Mowat,could this be the same Mowat who worked at Beauchief sub post office around 1949 , the name sounds familiar and did he have a brother working at the G P O as well.?

His brother was Dave mowat

Hi len palmer - I might have mentioned this before, I might know you from the 'National Service' thread. Did they call it Mackworth Camp in Egypt? If so I have some photos of us all but I don't know how to put them on, there was a bunch of

Sheffield lads on the pictures, even if it wasn't Mackworth Camp it still rings a bell.

His brother was Dave mowat

hi dawngary worked with mowat bros at head office after being a messenger 1954/58 work in 4group then a postman/driver dave was a driver alister a phg regards aj

hi dawngary worked with mowat bros at head office after being a messenger 1954/58 work in 4group then a postman/driver dave was a driver alister a phg regards aj

I'd like to say something good about alister but I can't he was a bstd when I was once on ops in cdo my wife had a miscarriage I asked him if I could leave early he said no,I've never forgave him for that and wish the worst on him sorry but that's how I feel,

hi fleetwood

O K on the Mackworth camp in Egypt yes I was there in 3Div

signals , most of the time I was in B troop but later in with the techs

in M troop.

a little hairy at times but I played some soccer around the canal zone

until 1955 when they started chucking the british out

They actually sent me a medal some years ago I think it was

for service in NAAFI queue's

I was a Telegram boy from 1967 until late 1969 early 1970

hi fleetwood

O K on the Mackworth camp in Egypt yes I was there in 3Div

signals , most of the time I was in B troop but later in with the techs

in M troop.

a little hairy at times but I played some soccer around the canal zone

until 1955 when they started chucking the british out

They actually sent me a medal some years ago I think it was

for service in NAAFI queue's

I got the medal also, you had a friend that was a photographer who took a whole bunch of photo's, most of which I still have if I can find out how to put them on. Was his name George Barnes?

Don't know if any of you messengers knew him but just heard John Schofield has passed away. I believe he was a messenger then became a manager. A really nice guy.

Don't know if any of you messengers knew him but just heard John Schofield has passed away. I believe he was a messenger then became a manager. A really nice guy.

I knew him he was a great gaffer

I took someone to the airport as I do private hire work now,they was friends with bob Western he's 75 now and plays golf at bondhay,they told me he's doing good.

Edited by dawngary

Hi fleetwood.

I think we may not be talking about the same people, I was at the post office from 1947 to 1950 when I joined the regular army for 5 years

yes I was in the royal signals in the canal zone from 51 t0 54 . I met a few guys from Sheffield and many were national service . were any of the you know in moascar with 3 Division signals ? I would like to see the photo you mentioned

just in case i know some of them

I was 3rd Infantry Div Sigs at Moascar mid 52 to end of 53, there were quite a few lads from Sheffield and area, in that group were two lads from the GPO, one was a Ron or Len Palmer and the other I think was George Barnes, all the Sheffield and area lads got together and had some photos took in the camp. - Now I might have got wrong with the bit about you were 21 having served your apprenticeship first. - If you wanted to click on the 'National Service' thread on the Forum and look at some of my 'Posts' you would come to my link to the picture in question. - Other than that you could 'Private Message' me your email address and I would be able to scan the pictures too you.

Gentlemen,

Sorry to dredge an old thread up from the dead like this, but I've registered just to contact either of you. Not Royal Sigs, but my late grandfather (Gnr Fred Newman) was with 3 DIV HQ RA (1951-53), first in Cyprus and then the Canal Zone from Feb '52 and I was really hoping you might be able to fill in some blanks.

Above all, what I'm really trying to discover is where precisely he was in Egypt. 3rd Div HQ was in Moascar (Ismailia), but I can't find anybody who knows exactly where HQRA was based. Ferry Point is one suggestion (HQ Canal North District was there), but I can't find any confirmation.

I'd be delighted if either of you is around to chat--here or by private message.

:cool:

Edited by Charley_F
grammar

Gentlemen,

Sorry to dredge an old thread up from the dead like this, but I've registered just to contact either of you. Not Royal Sigs, but my late grandfather (Gnr Fred Newman) was with 3 DIV HQ RA (1951-53), first in Cyprus and then the Canal Zone from Feb '52 and I was really hoping you might be able to fill in some blanks.

Above all, what I'm really trying to discover is where precisely he was in Egypt. 3rd Div HQ was in Moascar (Ismailia), but I can't find anybody who knows exactly where HQRA was based. Ferry Point is one suggestion (HQ Canal North District was there), but I can't find any confirmation.

I'd be delighted if either of you is around to chat--here or by private message.

:cool:

Hi Charlie_F - Sorry I can't help. Your grandfathers title suggests he was a gunner with the artillery. I was in the Royal Signals in a little different time situation according to your statistics, I was with signal personnel exclusively in my camp. While everybody seems to give Moascar as the address, Moascar was a small town approximately 10 to 20 miles away. He would have been in a different camp in a different situation and in a different area to me, the whereabouts? I have no idea. Short of finding websites with more information related to your needs, good luck in your quest and endeavours.

Hi Charlie_F - Sorry I can't help. Your grandfathers title suggests he was a gunner with the artillery. I was in the Royal Signals in a little different time situation according to your statistics, I was with signal personnel exclusively in my camp. While everybody seems to give Moascar as the address, Moascar was a small town approximately 10 to 20 miles away. He would have been in a different camp in a different situation and in a different area to me, the whereabouts? I have no idea. Short of finding websites with more information related to your needs, good luck in your quest and endeavours.

Very good of you to reply.

He was indeed a gunner, but with the HQRA (not one of the field regiments). HQRA was highly likely to have been located near 3rd Div HQ.

I thought, like you, that I'd be able to find out online where that was, but I've looked everywhere you could possibly imagine and had no joy.

I've also been poring over material from the National Archives at Kew, but if it's there I haven't found it yet.

Hope all's well in your neck o' the woods.

Edited by Charley_F
typo