When does my 1 month notice of leaving my flat start from?

Edited by SUGARPLUMKIN

it's one month from your rent payment date usually. So in your case you would pay the rent in september and you would move out on or before the 7th october.

i think that it would start the day u give notice for it to end,the 14th,as long as u have informed them on the 14th

Your one month's notice coincides with you rental periods, which is not necessarily the same as the date you pay your rent (although that usually seems to be the case.) If your original 6 month contract is from, say, 7th march - 6th september, your monthly rental period will start on the 7th, therefore your notice period will be a month from the 7th of the month. However, if your contract was from 1st - 30th, your rental period will still begin on the 1st, and your notice will be one month from then, regardless of when your rent is due.

It's not just one month from date of notice, off the top of my head because of the legal implications of months being different lengths. Moving out on any date other than the end of a rental period would have to mean a pro rata payment of rent to cover the incomplete final month, and that payment would be different depending on what method you used to calculate it. But it all depends on your landlord really, best thing is to discuss with him your plans and come to an amicable arrangement, you may find you can both reach a compromise which suits you both!

I agree with BigAl. his explanation usually occurs for 'Periodic tenancies', which is what you appear to be on following your month by month agreement after your specified finish date (originally 6 months).

Check your tenancy agreement, and TALK to your landlord. They MAY accept a calendar month.

It won't. Most if not all contracts have a written clause stating that notice must be given from and will start from the next payment of rent.

I've done this 3 times now and all of mine were the same. It just makes sorting out the finances easier for vendor and client.

febuary? .

No such month.

Your one month's notice coincides with you rental periods, which is not necessarily the same as the date you pay your rent (although that usually seems to be the case.) If your original 6 month contract is from, say, 7th march - 6th september, your monthly rental period will start on the 7th, therefore your notice period will be a month from the 7th of the month. However, if your contract was from 1st - 30th, your rental period will still begin on the 1st, and your notice will be one month from then, regardless of when your rent is due.

It's not just one month from date of notice, off the top of my head because of the legal implications of months being different lengths. Moving out on any date other than the end of a rental period would have to mean a pro rata payment of rent to cover the incomplete final month, and that payment would be different depending on what method you used to calculate it. But it all depends on your landlord really, best thing is to discuss with him your plans and come to an amicable arrangement, you may find you can both reach a compromise which suits you both!

That advice is not quite right, I fear.

1. First, what sort of letting is it? Most (but not all) tenancies re governed by the Housing Act 1988.

2. IF that Act's continuing the letting, and IF rent was payable monthly during the fixed term, each month after fixed-term expiry is a new one-month Statutory Periodic Tenancy.

3. So, yes, a fixed term ending on 6th probably means an SPT beginning on 7th.

4. Notice To Quit served by T must run:

a. for at least one month; and

b. up to & inc. an SPT month end too.

5. So an NTQ served today [21st] on such a tenancy should indicate that T will quit 'after 6 September': not 'on' that day.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw