Meersbrook in the 60s and 70s

There was another lorry accident at the bottom of Derbyshire Ln. Going down the Lane and couldn't stop and crashed into the houses on Chesterfield Rd. The passenger, who was just getting a lift was killed I believe. Think it was carrying steel sheets and when to lorry stopped the steel carried on.

remember it about 1967 the lorrys load of small castings finished up on top of the smashed cab my dad also a lorry driver was stood at the bus stop and was first one at the scene trying to free the driver.

Hi again Duffems, The Baileys family (Alan and Winnie, and kids; Pam, David,

Geoff, Gordon, Jackie and Bret.) lived at the top of Arthington St. between Joseph Sanderson and Fred and Freda Briddon when I lived there, Geoff was trained by Fretwell Downing (no relation) and was a top man at baking and decorating cakes etc, my guess he,s the one who did your wedding cake.

Hi again Duffems, The Baileys family (Alan and Winnie, and kids; Pam, David,

Geoff, Gordon, Jackie and Bret.) lived at the top of Arthington St. between Joseph Sanderson and Fred and Freda Briddon when I lived there, Geoff was trained by Fretwell Downing (no relation) and was a top man at baking and decorating cakes etc, my guess he,s the one who did your wedding cake.

How right you are, Geoff was the chap. Pamela was at Carfield School at the same time as us, sadly she died young. The Streets were also in the same block I believe, as were the Enderby's.

There were all very nice people around the area, the staff who worked in the bank on the corner of Chesterfield Road were very friendly, the whole area had a great community spirit.

HI Duffems , I was brought into this world sixty years ( 1952) ago by Dr. Sloan in the front bedroom of the flats across the road from Larders chemist,

Also at my mums side (Im told) was a lady called Beril Marshall who lived at the house at the rear of the chemist. I probably know you but I left in 1973 when I got married. Dr Sloans wife was also a doctor but she kept her pre married name of Dr King. Intresting post for me this as I recognise most of the names and places written about ,and as I have lived in Hinckley near Coventry for the past 33 years its like a trip down memory lane..Lets have a few more posts.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Did you live in the "Taylor's" side or the "Green's side of the Arthington Flats?

The Sloans lived at the top end of Pearson Pl. I remember him coming out late at night on call with his trousers over his pajamas

Hi again, the flats (Arthington Buildings) residents were as follows;

Flat 1/ Mr bill Ray who sub let to Derick and Joan Street+ Amander

Flat 2/ Sam and Betee Taylor + Patricia and Andrew

Flat 3 John and Elsie Downing + Michael and David (me)

Flat 4Mr and Mrs Harry Enderby no kids

Flat 5 Miss Ervine and Friend

Flat 6 Mr and Mrs Hoyland(some relation to Taylors in 2)

flat 7 Mr and mrs Hedge + Maurene and Pat

Flat8 (60s Mrs Pepper and son Clifford . Then Ken and Pat Green (nee Taylor) + kids

Hope this is of intrest to some as my memory at that time is prity reliable.

Hi again, the flats (Arthington Buildings) residents were as follows;

Flat 1/ Mr bill Ray who sub let to Derick and Joan Street+ Amander

Flat 2/ Sam and Betee Taylor + Patricia and Andrew

Flat 3 John and Elsie Downing + Michael and David (me)

Flat 4Mr and Mrs Harry Enderby no kids

Flat 5 Miss Ervine and Friend

Flat 6 Mr and Mrs Hoyland(some relation to Taylors in 2)

flat 7 Mr and mrs Hedge + Maurene and Pat

Flat8 (60s Mrs Pepper and son Clifford . Then Ken and Pat Green (nee Taylor) + kids

Hope this is of intrest to some as my memory at that time is prity reliable.

I was Andy's best man at his wedding to Carole in 1972, Ken and Pats kids are Linda and Peter. I haven't seen Andy/Carole or their kids, Donna and Brett, for about nine years. They live in the Jordanthorpe area

Our newsagents was Maltby's on Chesterfield Road, near the bottom of Millmount Road.

I had a girlfriend who lived at the bottom of millmount road her father was Ted Hall and mother was called Gloria,She was called Edwina I use to go in that corner shop often,a long time ago now.

HI Ann ,I remember 'Red Bill' lol ,give my regards to 'owd Al'...???

Hi Demeer. Small world I was best mates with Andy through my teens , We used to go skating together to pick up girls at Silver Blades. This is where he met Carol and I met my wife.I last saw Andy about 73/4 ,I was working at J R Bramahs (Halfway) and he was working for a decorating company painting the factory. If you ever hear from him give him my regards ,I love to hear from him again. Bye Dave.

Hi Dave Downing, I knew your Mum and Dad very well. I lived on Whiting Street until I got married. The last time I saw you was at your Mother's Funeral.Your Mother was Elsie Sanderson wasn't she? She was a wonderful person.

Hello old neighbour, I remember you and Beryl (nee Marshall) at the funeral and I think you are the Price family (sorry cant remember any first names) can you comfirm you are a hairdresser , and the young girl my mum put makeup on at the end of the war. She would be about 24 then and you about 14, Good to hear from you

Best regards David

Hi Dave ,yes I was the eldest. I don't think you would remember any of the family. But if you went to Newfield you might have known my Son's. Martin and John Hunter.?

You mention Mr and Mrs Enderby We all had to call her Madame Enderby. !! She was a famous judge on what was the fore runner os Strictly Come Dancing ! Do you remember Marjorie Wilton? She used to shop for Madame Enderby. Also the lady you knew as Mrs Wray was a Lady in Waiting to our Queens Grandmother. That was before she married. Her Son Reggie was in Wadsley Asylum for many years. Mr Wray was a disgusting old man who bred maggots on the railway at the bottom of Little London Road.