Meersbrook in the 60s and 70s

I used to work in Larder's Chemists in the 60's and often had to go up to Sloan's surgery, it was lovely to hear the children as they were practising their piano or just playing around the house, such a lovely family.

Well yes choogling you are right the chip shop was in the middle of the shops not the corner of Binfield. I've been away from Sheff too long although I do visit every now and then.! The corner shop when we moved was secondhand funiture I think, and Mrs Pearson's sweet shop was like a second home for us all!!

Well yes choogling you are right the chip shop was in the middle of the shops not the corner of Binfield. I've been away from Sheff too long although I do visit every now and then.! The corner shop when we moved was secondhand funiture I think, and Mrs Pearson's sweet shop was like a second home for us all!!

penny lucky bags were my favorite,loads of 1001 drops plus bits of broken toffee and if you were very lucky a miss-shape chocolate,frozen bottles of orange juice and jubblys that lasted hours,licorice root if funds were tight,happy days.just remembered the news agent was called Mr Walker

Edited by choogling

I can't remember the newsagent, but those sweets made me smile:)Dont forget those homemade ice lollies that Mrs Pearson used to make herself as well:)

I can't remember the newsagent, but those sweets made me smile:)Dont forget those homemade ice lollies that Mrs Pearson used to make herself as well:)

we used to buy a penny lolly and a bag of crystals to dip it in, then walk round with purple lips

Purple lips and all that sugar rush, its a wonder we have teeth left really!

Does anyone remember living in Meersbrook in the 60s and 70s. We had a newsagents on Chesterfield Road and lived at the back of the shop from 1066-1970 when we moved to Burcot Road. My children went to Meersbrook Bank school and Newfield. Does anyone remember Harold who had a paper shop next to Car Spares on Chesterfield Road and Florrie the cat woman who lived on Norton Lees Road.
good god you had the shop for 904 years brilliant!! 1066-1970

i also delivered papers for him and yes he was a skinflint i was head hunted by swallows on Derbyshire lane another strange newsagent they had a Mills and Boon library in the shop

HI Duffems , I was brought into this world sixty years ( 1952) ago by Dr. Sloan in the front bedroom of the flats across the road from Larders chemist,

Also at my mums side (Im told) was a lady called Beril Marshall who lived at the house at the rear of the chemist. I probably know you but I left in 1973 when I got married. Dr Sloans wife was also a doctor but she kept her pre married name of Dr King. Intresting post for me this as I recognise most of the names and places written about ,and as I have lived in Hinckley near Coventry for the past 33 years its like a trip down memory lane..Lets have a few more posts.

Dave

Another short story relating to Derbyshire Lane/ Meersbrook Bank school

Don't remember the exact year but it must have been late fifties or very early sixties, we were all in class at school when our studies were interrupted by the most dreadful commotion from Derbyshire Lane , a series of very loud bangs screaming and scrapping noises and then silence.We all ran to the windows but due to the high school wall nothing could be seen, not long after that it was play time so we made our way to the school gate on Derbyshire lane.What we saw next was like a scene from a disaster film the road was covered in loose and bagged corn with coping stones knocked from walls and debris scattered every were.At the bottom of the lane the back end of a lorry could be seen sticking out from doctor Sloans yard,what happened came out later when we got home.

A lorry loaded with corn had come all the way down Derbyshire Lane ,for those who don't know its a one in eight very steep,the brakes had failed and the driver was bouncing the lorry against the house walls in a desperate attempt to stop, still moving near the bottom he steered into the doctors yard hit the gate upright and with a hail of broken bricks managed to stop.Dr.King had just taken her young baby back in the house

the pram was smashed and the child would have been killed if not for good fortune or premonition who knows.

Not long after the section from Norton lees up to Scarsdale Rd was made one way up only.

There was another lorry accident at the bottom of Derbyshire Ln. Going down the Lane and couldn't stop and crashed into the houses on Chesterfield Rd. The passenger, who was just getting a lift was killed I believe. Think it was carrying steel sheets and when to lorry stopped the steel carried on.

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 09:10 ----------

Does anyone remember living in Meersbrook in the 60s and 70s. We had a newsagents on Chesterfield Road and lived at the back of the shop from 1066-1970 when we moved to Burcot Road. My children went to Meersbrook Bank school and Newfield. Does anyone remember Harold who had a paper shop next to Car Spares on Chesterfield Road and Florrie the cat woman who lived on Norton Lees Road.

I remember kitty cat Florrie, she lived next door to the bread shop and I delivered papers from that paper shop in about 1962. Think it was a mucky shop with naughty books on top shelf

Edited by demeer

HI Duffems , I was brought into this world sixty years ( 1952) ago by Dr. Sloan in the front bedroom of the flats across the road from Larders chemist,

Also at my mums side (Im told) was a lady called Beril Marshall who lived at the house at the rear of the chemist. I probably know you but I left in 1973 when I got married. Dr Sloans wife was also a doctor but she kept her pre married name of Dr King. Intresting post for me this as I recognise most of the names and places written about ,and as I have lived in Hinckley near Coventry for the past 33 years its like a trip down memory lane..Lets have a few more posts.

Dave

When I first worked at Larders Chemists (mid '60's) Mr.& Mrs. Marshall lived at the back half of the shop, the pharmacy was later expanded into the living quarters of the Marshalls who then moved across the road.

I left in 1970 when I married and moved from Sheffield, one of the Bailey's who lived in the same flats as yourself made my wedding cake.