Sabatier Knife Ranges

hi folks,

i have been looking for a new set of kitchen knives for everyday use, and have come across a staggering range of sabatier knives from all sorts of brands and suppliers, now, what is the best range and company to buy from to get a good sabatier set

also, are sabatier knives different from brand to brand

apart from sabatier knives, what other type of sold and well balanced knives are good

Edited by Speed Demon

Personally I wouldn't buy a full set of knives from one manufacturer- I did that before and ended up with some knives I didn't use and a couple that I needed more than one of because one was always in the dishwasher!

If you're looking at getting some new knives I'd go to somewhere like Abbots on Abbeydale Road and look at individual knives. Most people don't actually use a huge range of knives, they just need 3 or 4 which they find really great to use and which meet all their needs.

There are loads of different sabatier ranges out there and I don't think that they are automatically good knives or will meet your needs. There's also no such thing as 'best'; there's the best you can afford and then there's everything else.

I know people who swear by their £200 a piece ceramic knives, but my favourite knife is a little utility knife which was made by Richardsons, from their Fusion range, which is edged with tungsten carbide. I can't remember what it cost but it was almost certainly less than £20, which makes it a seriously good investment for the amount of use it's had over the years.

I like using sharp knives and lack the strength in my gammy arm to use anything but the sharpest knives, but of course the lack of ability in my arm means I also worry about whether I'm about to do myself a serious mischief whilst wielding a sharp knife. These knives don't do much to reassure me, since they're sharp enough to cut ceramic plates (that's tungsten carbide for you!) but my utility knife has been used and abused for at least 15 years now and is still sharp despite my cack handedness.

Many (20+) years ago Sabatier knives were the most fantastic knives, made in France from steel with a high carbon content they sharpened easily and held their edge.

Some years ago the family (Sabatier) seemed to split up and went about 6 different ways with several 'Sabatier' brands arising from the split. Some of the knives with the Sabatier name are good some are terrible.

The true Sabatier knives are still made in France, in or near Thiers. They even produce some knives still with a carbon steel blade but these are difficult to track down. If the knife is from the old Sabatier factory it should be obvious from the markings and literature accompanying it.

I have a 'modern' Sabatier knife that was from the French factory but do not find it as easy to sharpen as some of the better German and Brazilian ones.

Don't buy a set of knives unless you know you will use all of them, it often turns out to be a false economy as two or three probably never get used. A basic set of three knives will get most people started.

sabatier is a region in france with a tradition of cutlery making, not a brand name - I've got loads of knives including a set of very expensive japanese ones with the blade and handle cast as one - the knife I use most is a cheapo Tesco 'sabatier' that I've had for donkey's, it balances beautifully and gets razor sharp every time and cost about 8 quid

If you look on Wikipedia you will find all you need to know about Sabatier knives and the Thiers region of France.

I'm still waiting for tesco to get in touch with freebies following my advert for their (undeniably outstanding) cook's knives.

David Mellor at Hathersage sell the good quality Sabatier range. The David Mellor knives are also worth a look. As are Wusthoff and Henckells (spelling?!), if you like heavier knives. I'd also second an earlier recommendation of trying Abbott's; excellent shop with extremely knowledgeable owners.

Pop down to russums in Rotherham, they supply the trade but also have a shop counter.

Great range of knives for all budgets