VDU and eye tests

Hi

I'm after a bit of advice which hopefully someone on here can offer.

I asked my employer as I'm a constant user of a VDU (probably 7 hours a day) am I entitled to an eye test. They have said no as I have to wear glasses/lenses any way so I am not as I already need them. They will pay for a test for someone who doesn't wear glasses, but only if they are experiencing problems (headaches, eyestrain etc).

I've have a trawl through the internet and everything I found said if I asked they have to provide one under the Health and Safety Regulations. There is no exclusion to someone who already wears glasses/lenses.

Does any one know a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance

Vaughan

Hi

I'm after a bit of advice which hopefully someone on here can offer.

I asked my employer as I'm a constant user of a VDU (probably 7 hours a day) am I entitled to an eye test. They have said no as I have to wear glasses/lenses any way so I am not as I already need them. They will pay for a test for someone who doesn't wear glasses, but only if they are experiencing problems (headaches, eyestrain etc).

I've have a trawl through the internet and everything I found said if I asked they have to provide one under the Health and Safety Regulations. There is no exclusion to someone who already wears glasses/lenses.

Does any one know a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance

Vaughan

The employer is obliged to provide you with an Eye Test. They are not obliged to provide you with glasses unless specially prescribed for VDU.

They must provide you with an eye test irrespective of whether you currently wear glasses or not. This is to ensure that your sight is not being made worse by the VDU use. They have an health & safety requirement.

This leaflet from the HSE gives the outline of the Law:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

this is what I found on the hse website...there may be more..and I'm sure someone will come along with more info

On request arrange eye tests, and provide spectacles if special ones

are needed

Employees covered by the Regulations can ask their employer to provide and pay for an eye and eyesight test. This is a test by an optometrist or doctor.

There is also an entitlement to further tests at regular intervals; the optometrist doing the first test can recommend when the next should be.

Employers only have to pay for spectacles if special ones (for example, prescribed for the distance at which the screen is viewed) are needed and normal ones cannot be used

Also, it will depend on how you define VDU. VDU stands for Video Display Unit, which are the older type computer monitors with CRT tubes (look like old tellies). These displays created a picture by oscillating a scan line from the top of the monitor to the bottom, horizontally. By scanning fast enough, you fooled the brain into thinking it was seeing a static image, when in fact it is flickering very fast...it is this that causes the issues to do with headaches.

Modern LCD displays operate differently. In essence they are tiny liquid crystals that are illuminated by a back light i.e. they do not scan and do not flicker.

I'm not sure if HSE regulations cover these type of displays differently from the older VDU types.

If they do, this might explain why your employer is taking the line they are with you.

VDU doesn't just describe a CRT, it describes any device capable of displaying a video like image.

Modern monitors are still captured by this definition.

Interesting...wonder if this will have to start covering smart phones as well?

Interesting...wonder if this will have to start covering smart phones as well?

I guess they are covered if employees "habitually use" them "as a significant part of their normal work".

For visual use as well, not for talking on :-)

3 of us in our office have tried asking our employer if he will pay for eye tests and he said no. However if you look on the Direct.gov website which answers many questions which you may find useful, I think he is obliged to do so.

I wrote to the HSE in the end to get a final say. If you use a VDU for prolongued time for work your employer has to pay for a test if requested. They can specify where you have to go though so you can't just book an appointment anywhere and expect them to pay.

I can send you the reply if you want, it's a bit long to post on here.

Regards

Vaughan