Water bowl for guinea pigs?

Hi,

I am getting baby guinea pigs at the weekend. Their cage has arrived today. It is this one

http://www.justcages.co.uk/guinea-pig-cages/ferplast-rabbit-120-rabbit-guinea-pig-cage?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=shopping#v_432

I can see a few problems with it so far. They won't be able to get up the steps to get food so I may need another food bowl on the lower level. They won't be able to reach the hay so temporarily it can go on the floor. But my biggest problem is that I don't think they will be able to reach the water bottle. Can I use a bowl for their water? I have found out about these glass bottles which I could attach inside the cage lower down but I don't know where I can buy one other than online and I would need one ASAP. Pets at Home only do them on home delivery. :help:

Thanks.

A bit ago I bought a stand water bottle for 99p from home bargins for one of my pets try there

oh and the ones that stick to glass I have found not to be so good they slip down somethimes to low so the pet cant get anything - Id use a heavy bowl (make sure it is heavy as a cheap light plastic one can turn over when stepped on a cremaic one should do the job!)

Thank you. I've just looked on Home Bargains website and can't see anything. I may have to go with a bowl. I thought I'd got this great cage but I hadn't thought about things being too high up for them :(

We drilled a hole further down the cage and got rid of the upstairs bit all together.

Bowls are no good they just tip them over. You can get Ezi-Filla bottles with a different shaped spout they should work

Peaches even heavy bowls? As yet as long as they are heavy I have never had a problem with them tipping

Yes, they are also prone to filling them with pooh

I guess it depends on the guinea pigs - personally I have in the past used both bottle and bowl and never found pooh in the water bowl but maybe you have had different experiences with using them

Looking at that, it looks as though you should be able to take the clip for the water bottle off the outside and attach it lower down the bars on the inside, then just clip the water bottle onto it the wrong way around so it points into the cage at least until they're big enough to reach :)

I had a similar water bottle and holder and the clip just twists onto the bars and because you're not using wire to hold it, it's a clip, the clip should hold it up without the spout having to rest on a bar.

Looking at that, it looks as though you should be able to take the clip for the water bottle off the outside and attach it lower down the bars on the inside, then just clip the water bottle onto it the wrong way around so it points into the cage at least until they're big enough to reach :)

I had a similar water bottle and holder and the clip just twists onto the bars and because you're not using wire to hold it, it's a clip, the clip should hold it up without the spout having to rest on a bar.

Yes you're right. I worked this out yesterday. The only thing I'm worried about is if they could chew the actual bottle but I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can collect my piggies this weekend now as both my kids have been all up night being sick :gag::( .

I don't really want to take the kids in the car and I also don't know if the piggies could catch anything from them?

D and v isn't zootonic so not transferable. I hope the kids feel better soon x