Sheffield History Book Wanted

Hi

I am looking for a book on Sheffield history - but most of the books I have seen seem to just cover the City Centre and immediate area.

Is there one that covers outside the City Centre as well, with good old photos?

Am interested in photos and information on places that aren't covered very often, such as Pitsmoor, Wincobank Hall, Beighton, Worrall, Chapeltown, High Green, etc.

Thanks

where have you looked so far?

there are some books in the millenium galleries and the sheffield shop on surrey street.

i think there is still a made in sheffield shop on ecclesall road.

what about the fire/police museum at west bar? ive been to history talks given there.

i also met a local historian/author/publisher via the hillsborough forum, but for the life of me i cant remember his name! :blush:

i shall try and find out for you though :)

x

There are books on specific areas of Sheffield like Chapeltown Worrall etc that you can get from the local history section of Waterstones/ WH Smiths as well as the others places mentioned by sophiec

I have a copy of "a popular history of Sheffield" the author is j Edward vickers. The book was published in 1978 and is about 250 pages with illustrations. The isbn number is 0715812416. It is a good book and you might find one on Amazon etc. Thecauthorvwas a well known local historian and artist. He lived off abbey dale road. I met him once and bought one of his paintings (of norton). Hope this is of use.

Wow!

Thanks everyone - we'll be in town on Saturday, so will pop into the Sheffield shop! Will also see if they have "a popular history of Sheffield" - thanks Kimpton!

Mel Jones has been editor of or may even have published quite a few books about north Sheffield in particular. You can buy them from libraries in Chap & Stocksbridge.

I have a copy of "a popular history of Sheffield" the author is j Edward vickers. The book was published in 1978 and is about 250 pages with illustrations. The isbn number is 0715812416. It is a good book and you might find one on Amazon etc. Thecauthorvwas a well known local historian and artist. He lived off abbey dale road. I met him once and bought one of his paintings (of norton). Hope this is of use.

Hi I have this book too, its really interesting and very informative

A Pitsmoor Camera...and search other districts "camera"titles.

I have recently acquired lots and lots of old history books about Sheffield. Some of them are very old, unique and extremely rare. A few examples are

A Century of Sheffield 1835 to 1935 - published 1974

Cars from Sheffield - published 1986

Chatsworth: A Short History - published 1951

The History and Antiquities of Eyam; The Great Plague - published 1859

Dronfield round about - published 1988

Sheffield: City on the move - published 1970's

1939-1945 Sheffield at War - published 1948

Hyde Park: Redevelopment Scheme – Opened by Queen Mother 23 June 1966 - published 1966

Sheffield’s Lower Don Valley The Place to be; 9 years of change - published 1997

I am currently in the process of listing them with a view to selling them so if you're interested in any of these and want some prices let me know.

Thanks

Edited by Iwork2shop
formatting wrong

i also met a local historian/author/publisher via the hillsborough forum, but for the life of me i cant remember his name! :blush:

his name was ron clayton :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=143524799062731&set=a.142133962535148.37864.134102323338312&type=1&theater

hope this helps too, have fun shopping tomorrow :)

x

There is a variety of sheffield history books in local libraries