Solar Panel Megathread

We have our installation dates now. September 22nd is D day. That might change yet though because the date for the electrical work isn't convenient for us. :thumbsup:

MATT7056; Both myself and a friend of mine have been accepted by 'A shade greener' and the systems are being fitted in sept. There is no catch - they are government funded, a bit like the old warm front schemes. There is absolutely NOTHING to pay, they install the whole system and insure and maintain it for 25 years. You must have a good sized perfectly SOUTH facing roof with no nearby large trees or other obstructions and it will save around 60% of your usual bill. The obvious thing is to use as much of your electric as you can within daylight hours-tumble dryers, washing machines, oven etc. There are always sceptics but if you are interested get in quick they only have a grant for so many.

They aren't government funded. It's a private company that's going to make a profit from the FIT you could have claimed had you paid for the system up front.

It's not too good to be true, it's not even a good deal unless you can't actually scrape together the investment for the system yourself.

I don't give a monkeys who makes a profit, that's what business is all about. No I don't have 20 or even 10 grand to pay for a system up front and I doubt many of the other 5,999 who have been successful would have either, what I do know is that my electricity bills will be reduced by aprox 60% for the next 25 years (if I live that long!) and that can't be a bad thing.

I didn't say it was a bad thing.

I guess they rely on people like you who don't give a monkeys. Personally if I had the choice between them or me making a profit, I'd give several monkeys to ensure that it was me. And given interest rates at the moment, it would probably be worth borrowing the 12.5k and paying for the system to be fitted, if you plan to stay in the house for 25 years.

You're electricity bill will be reduced, and you'll get the money from the FIT to offset the loan interest.

http://www.electrotect.co.uk/feed.php

This site shows some basic calculations based on a home in Leeds fitting a 3kw system (that's what asg are fitting).

The summary is that they base it on a 14k fitting cost and get this result

So Mr Green would have a payback on his system in 25 years of £35,268.75,

thats a tax free profit of £21,268.75

But you don't give a monkeys, so give the 21k to asg, they'll happily take it off your hands over the next quarter century.

Thats fine by me - it's probably the least hassle thing I've ever entered into and if I sell the property it simply gets transferred to the new owners - you can't take them with you so nothing lost.

Hence why I mentioned that you need to intend to stay.

I'm not buying any because I don't plan to stay here for long enough.

Company is a joke. Every day my conservatory which is south facing gets so hot from the sun I can't go in it much.. Yet they tell me my roof is not positioned right to pick up enough sun to power the panels.

Their "field team" are either incredibly stupid or don't exist!

Company is a joke. Every day my conservatory which is south facing gets so hot from the sun I can't go in it much.. Yet they tell me my roof is not positioned right to pick up enough sun to power the panels.

Their "field team" are either incredibly stupid or don't exist!

I thought they used google earth or something similar to make that decission.

They do yes.. They still said no. on the picture the conservatory is basked in sun too!

Just buy a system yourself if it's such a good spot. It'll take about 10 years to pay off the investment and then you get 15 years of profit based on the expected lifespan of the system.

ashade greener. our roof was no good.have you seen the roof at gleadless ? its totaly full !!!!!