Solar Panel Megathread

Just about to try that one, thank you

So ive seen a few solar panel kits that you can purchase. I was just wondering as i was wanting to power all my lighting in my house off grid . I was just wondering . A how difficult this would be to implement into the existing wiring and how much it would be for an electrician to fit?

for example kit

http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/off-grid-solar-power-systems/Eoplly380W.html

So ive seen a few solar panel kits that you can purchase. I was just wondering as i was wanting to power all my lighting in my house off grid . I was just wondering . A how difficult this would be to implement into the existing wiring and how much it would be for an electrician to fit?

for example kit

http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/off-grid-solar-power-systems/Eoplly380W.html

You would have to have enough battery storage and panel generating capacity to cope with the lighting demands during the evening.

An electrician should be able to install but if you wanted to claim the feed in tariff then they would need to be MCS qualified and the installation registered with an installer registered with MCS.

so my idea was to change all the bulbs to low powered leds.

any recomendations for anyone that does a small 600-1kw off grid system and fitting?

so my idea was to change all the bulbs to low powered leds.

any recomendations for anyone that does a small 600-1kw off grid system and fitting?

We'd be able to do it. There are a a couple of options. 1 - low voltage system (max 12v - short DC cable run) with no inverter which is more cost effective. 2 - 240v system with inverter.

We'd be able to do it. There are a a couple of options. 1 - low voltage system (max 12v - short DC cable run) with no inverter which is more cost effective. 2 - 240v system with inverter.

what would be a rough idea of cost?

We are considering having solar panels fitted and I'm after some feedback from anyone that has gone down this route. What are your experiences? Are the savings better or worse than expected?

It all seems a little too good to be true.

There's a massive thread already running which I'm sure someone will point out.

I've looked into this briefly and will again once we get into the new house.

If you can buy them outright then you'll get more money in return but will have to wait 5-8 years (depending on the system) until they pay for them selves.

Plenty of companies who will supply and fit the panels for free but they take a cut...

Most of the systems only allow the energy to be used during sunlight hours unless you get a battery/capacity system to store the harnessed electricity...

hi im seriously thinking of having solar panels to my roof it would be a 2.5kw 10 panel system and long story short it would save me half on electric bil of £50 a month ish and we would get a cheque sent to us of around £92 every 3 months , what are your thoughts to your solar system do you get the money sent that these companys promise , part of the £92 is government made up

also we would benefit from lower leccy bills only if we use stuff in the day , its a dusk till dawn system

the company is fenland solar ltd anyone had any dealing with this company

any advice would be great thanks

Hi Jamesey and the_rudeboy

I've just PMd you both with some information about how we can help.

Fenland Solar are based in Peterborough I think. If you have a price from them then get a couple of prices from local installers (me, me!) to compare.

For anyone considering using a company that operates nationally then I would advise that you check to see if they use their own staff for installs or whether they use subcontractors. Some subbie work we have seen (but not all) has been below standard which we have been called in to rectify because the subbie has gone bust.

This does not apply to all national companies but it pays to do a Google search to see if there is any negative (or positive) chatter about the company you are thinking of.

Hi Jamesey and the_rudeboy

I've just PMd you both with some information about how we can help.

Fenland Solar are based in Peterborough I think. If you have a price from them then get a couple of prices from local installers (me, me!) to compare.

For anyone considering using a company that operates nationally then I would advise that you check to see if they use their own staff for installs or whether they use subcontractors. Some subbie work we have seen (but not all) has been below standard which we have been called in to rectify because the subbie has gone bust.

This does not apply to all national companies but it pays to do a Google search to see if there is any negative (or positive) chatter about the company you are thinking of.

Hi there

Could you send me some more info please. I've looked at ashadegreener a few month ago. Moving in very shortly so would be interested to see what the potential benefits/savings are etc