Solar Panel Megathread

We can now offer free solar panels if there is any interest?? Please click here and show us where your roof is and we will be able to establish whether or not you qualify

We can now offer free solar panels if there is any interest?? Please click here and show us where your roof is and we will be able to establish whether or not you qualify

linky no worky?

We have had a couple of companies out now and I'm getting confused, is it better to have a lot of small panels that don't produce as much KW or have less bigger panels that produce more. Also one company said Phono Solar panels are the best and another recommended Sanyo sola panels but suggested I have some that are not as efficient but have more of them as they are cheaper.

Also do I need to insure the panels on my home insurance policy and will they require regular cleaning?

Also I have a East to West facing house so I'd really like panels on both sides of the roof, why is this such a problem.

Many thanks

My mate has the most enormous villa in Spain, and even his roof isn't the correct shape and size for solar panels, all the new villas are designed to take solar panels. However ground sited panels (if possible) work fine, but I suppose that they would get stolen over here.

I have a PV solar panel installation. It is a 10 x 245 watt panel sytem. It cost £ 9,500.

It was installed at the end of March this year. It generates an average of 10 Kw per day which will reduce as the days shorten. A rough estimate in cash terms of what the system including FIT payments etc is generating is £ 5 per day.

Hi,

This can be very confusing.

At the end of the day the decision is yours, but I think the single most important factor is the return on investment. For example, you could fit 250wp (250 watts peak) PV panels on your roof which would obviously generate more than the same number of 185wp PV panels. However the 185wp panels could give a far better return on investment if they were significantly cheaper to install.

You need to get the highest output from the available space on your roof for the lowest initial cost.

Because you have an East West roof you will need 2 systems (1 for each roof), and this could be very expensive.

Your home insurance should already cover any panels you have installed under the buildings section of the policy, but it is worth giving them a call to let them know if you do decide to have them fitted.

I hope this answers your questions

Kind regards

Steven Peacock

http://www.oneheating.co.uk - NOW INSTALLING SOLAR PV

We have had a couple of companies out now and I'm getting confused, is it better to have a lot of small panels that don't produce as much KW or have less bigger panels that produce more. Also one company said Phono Solar panels are the best and another recommended Sanyo sola panels but suggested I have some that are not as efficient but have more of them as they are cheaper.

Also do I need to insure the panels on my home insurance policy and will they require regular cleaning?

Also I have a East to West facing house so I'd really like panels on both sides of the roof, why is this such a problem.

Many thanks

Depending on the brand and quality of your inverter, to solve your East/West issue certain inverters will switch automatically.

For example if we were to put 2 strings of panels on your roof, one string on the east and one string on the west our inverter would switch automatically depending on which string is generating the most power.

Basically string one will generate in the morning, and string 2 will generate in the afternoon.

Hope that helps? Please feel free to drop me an email or give us a call on 0800 093 8910

If it were to switch one side off and the other side on then it would only be producing half the amount at all times, wouldn't it be better to have both sides on at all times as surely the peak of the roof would get sun all the time due to it's highness?

Thanks

Its hard to make any kind of judgement with out seeing your roof, obviously if your roof is benefiting from light all day then your right there would be no need to have 2 strings.

However if at any point your panels become shaded then their efficiency across the whole sting is dramatically reduced hence the befit of having 2 strings.