Pushchair safety on buses

The next time you go on the bus try to balance shoppin or luggage in the small space provided and see how long it lasts before falling out, there is no space for a pram i can assure you

ive had to squeeze my daughters folded wheelchair in those spaces before when pram users refuse to fold thier buggies, if i can fit that heavy monster of a thing in there then im sure a buggie will fit

When travelling on public transport you have to accept some responsibility that the things you bring on board with you are well packed and safely stored so as to not injure other passengers in the case of an emergency stop or collision. If you were to travel in my car I wouldn't allow unrestrained children, pushchairs and loose shopping on the back seats!

Collapse the buggy and put it in a safe place on the bus or walk!

I was getting off a stagecoach bus the other week with my pram & the bus driver hadnt pulled in to the bus stop properly or lowerd the floor resulting in my pram wheels getting caught under the bus and my pram tipping over, luckily my child was strapped in her carseat part of the pram.

Most buses I get on with my pushchair will only let two pushchairs on at a time. some let three. I got told by a driver that they are only insured to carry 3 upright that was on a stagecoach bus. If you don't wanna put your pram down wait for another bus. Getting on a bus with shopping bags heavier than the pram is just silly, of course your pram will tip.

i also got on a stagecoach bus in the driver allowed 4 prams upright on the bus & 2 folded down.

I regulary go on the bus with my young one and would love to know from all you smart people who say "fold them up and put them in the luggage rack" where in fact the luggage rack is cos all the buses i catch have a space for the free papers instead of a luggage rack so there is no place for a pushchairs this is why people dont fold them anymore!

i totaly agree some have them and some don't as i found out the other day, and where do you epect me to put my newborn baby while i fold my pram, on the floor? becausenpeople don't offer to help they just stand and stare at you!!

i totaly agree some have them and some don't as i found out the other day, and where do you epect me to put my newborn baby while i fold my pram, on the floor? becausenpeople don't offer to help they just stand and stare at you!!

I had a right job on when my lo was newborn, I had a lay down pram and had to take the lining out and detach the hood before I could fold it down. Even more of a job when I had the raincover on! :hihi:

To be honest when travelling by public transport during busy times you are probably better of with a sling :)

i'm surprised that no one has looked at the design of buggies to make them better for buses and easyto fold down...

the responsibility for the child (at all times) lies with the parent. This is where this country is going wrong

i'm surprised that no one has looked at the design of buggies to make them better for buses and easyto fold down...

They are easy to fold down though, well most of them are.

Its the problem of getting the child onto the bus, while its running free, and carrying shopping along with the pram as well as paying that bothers most people. Its not hard if you can keep your child under control. It is a little more difficult when getting off though, when your child wants to run out into the road. Much easier if there are 2 of you.

Iv fitted both my buggy and my double puschair into the space when folded. Iv also struggled with a newborn and a eighteen month old when there has been no space and iv had to fold the pram. Not ideal when out on your own but still manageable. People have always helped out when iv asked.

Just re read this and want to say I'm not meaning to be nasty, but you can't stop doing your day to day activities because you have small children and no private transport.

Im quite prepared to fold my pram down and did do yesterday. Im also quite prepared to wait for the next bus and have done on many occasions. I also know what weight can be loaded on and under my pram safely and I position it safely on most occasions.

I say on most occasions as the only times I have been unable too are when the bus driver has allowed me to board when their are already the max prams on or when the spaces have been taken up by people who need them.

I could moan about those shopping trolly bags that people take on board blocking the aisle but I don't.

At the end of the day the spaces are there for wheelchairs primarily and puschairs just get over it. If the people who are whinging don't like it then you walk!!!

I agree people should position them safely but I really feel this thread was started by a poster who has many bus gripes about puschairs etc.