Pushchair safety on buses

After witnessing a pushchair going over on the bus yesterday (with baby inside) it got me thinking.

There are guidelines on the buses for wheelchair users as to how to position the chair safely, but there are not any for pushchairs. Surely then, the bus company would be liable for carrying these pushchairs without any safety notices?

Apart from anything the pushchair was badly parked and weighted wrong, but surely there should besomethingon thebus or they not be carried at all unfolded?

Short of banning pushchairs on buses, it is the passenger that must be responsible, not the bus company. If the bus company was found to be negligent it would put into doubt whether they would continue to carry pushchairs on any of their vehicles?

surely then they need legal notices stating this? at the moment there isn't anything about it at all on the buses.. As i said there is for wheelchair users...

They need legal notices stating that whoever is in charge of a baby in a pushchair should hold onto it...? Seriously..?

Edited by truman

I think the compulsory wearing of seat belts on public transport isn't far off. The practice of allowing people to stand on buses and trains whilst the vehicle is moving is not acceptable anyway.

Maybe, just maybe anyone not bright enough to work out how to put a push chair on a bus shouldn't be having kids.

jb

On Stagecoach in Torquay there is a maximum of two pushchairs allowed on their buses at any one time and the must be anchored into designated buggy areas. Seems an initiative could be taken from Stagecoach in Devon?

Or we could just go back to the days when the parents folded up the push chairs, put them in the luggage rack and sat the child on their knee?

People should be responsible for looking after their own belongings and not expect others to be responsible.

The Blame & Claim culture is wrong IMO.

I think the compulsory wearing of seat belts on public transport isn't far off. The practice of allowing people to stand on buses and trains whilst the vehicle is moving is not acceptable anyway.

Who exactly would enforce this? The Driver? I think he has enough on his plate.

Never going to happen.

On Stagecoach in Torquay there is a maximum of two pushchairs allowed on their buses at any one time and the must be anchored into designated buggy areas. Seems an initiative could be taken from Stagecoach in Devon?

Thats the same in sheffield on stagecoach and first. a pram.

I get on the bus with my buggy and it is often loaded with shopping seen as its difficult holding shopping and pushing a pram. I always position it correctly when I can, however there have been occasions where I have been left in the aisle because people won't move, or there are already prams on and the bus driver has just drove off.

My buses are regular so it wouldn't bother me if I had to wait for the next one.

The bus driver ought to check the bays and 1) make sure there arent any more prams on than should be and 2) make sure the bays arent occupied by people who need them for e.g those with a disability or the elderly when the bus is full.

Edited by jenz245

but by loading up your buggy with shopping you are putting the child in the pushchair at risk by loading the weight wrong?

imo pushchairs should be folded up or the proper areas enforced on the buses (which they are not btw)