Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Firth Brown Tools

I worked at FBT in the late 60s. Does anybody remember John Linley, Chalkie White, Jimmy Bingham, Jigger etc?

Haven't seen Jigger for years,he's still going though,Ashy sees him often.Was Chalkie from Thurcroft?

Yes Chalkie was from Thurcroft

Hey up Tony hows it going,do you still see Scotty?

ey up Dave

hows it goin ? yes i see Terry regular ,i have been with him all day today.

I worked at FBT in the late 60s. Does anybody remember John Linley, Chalkie White, Jimmy Bingham, Jigger etc?

I remember john lindley as a very good footballer, I played in goal for 2nd team and right wing for 1st team

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 23:54 ----------

Hi Did any one work at firth brown tools on Carlisle St 1968/72:loopy:

Hi cliffboy, I started 1967 until 1974 who are you? Did you play in any of the football or rounders teams?

I had two aunties who were sisters worked there around that time, Margaret (Maggie) Shooler and Nellie Moore. They then lived in the Danville St. area

I worked at gate 4 where the fish pond was I work on the grinding section grinding or lapping carbide lathe tools during 1972-1973 I worked with les who lived on prince of wales rd and there was two others called harry also there was a bloke who worked on surface grinder who used to sell cigs crisp and chocolate etc from a metal locker I think he owned a paper shop on holme lane he had a large scar on his head I was told he received the Victoria cross in the war

I worked at gate 4 where the fish pond was I work on the grinding section grinding or lapping carbide lathe tools during 1972-1973 I worked with les who lived on prince of wales rd and there was two others called harry also there was a bloke who worked on surface grinder who used to sell cigs crisp and chocolate etc from a metal locker I think he owned a paper shop on holme lane he had a large scar on his head I was told he received the Victoria cross in the war

I worked there in the late 50.s worked with the saw smiths and in the loading bay

---------- Post added 21-12-2014 at 07:46 ----------

I worked there in the late 50.s worked with the saw smiths and in the loading bay

it was on savvile street

I was looking at something on 'Picture Sheffield' and there were photos of former prime minister Edward Heath visiting Firth Brown Tools 'Atlas Works'. Was that the correct name of their facility as I thought that Atlas Works was Firth Brown's across the street. Also what were FBT's premises, were they just Carlisle Street East (the rear being Forncett Street) to Carwood Road or they had other places?

Firth Brown Tools had a main machine shop on Carlisle Street which was on the Atlas site which was the name for that large area of steel works&also Firth Browns were on the Atlas site which was a seperate company. Firth Brown Tools was on the right hand side if you was travelling away from the city centre&opposite that was the shear blade section which was on the corner of Harleston Street& Forncett Street&also ran along Carlisle Street with the entrance to the workshop on Forncett Street&there were offices&a canteen which the entrance was on Harleston Street. There was also another part of the company named Marshalls Hard Metals on Windsor Street which ran of Saville Street.

My dad ron farrand use to work Firth brown tools on Carlisle st about that time. He was stock control manger

I had two aunties who were sisters worked there around that time, Margaret (Maggie) Shooler and Nellie Moore. They then lived in the Danville St. area

I knew a Nellie Moore, lived at the other side of our yard when we lived on Gower Street, but think their address would have been Clun Street. Her husband and eldest son were called John and other son was Alan as I remember. They moved to Woodhouse like we did when everything was knocked down. Would it be the same Nellie?