Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

I was looking at something on 'Picture Sheffield' and there were photos of former prime minister Edward Heath visiting Firth Brown Tools 'Atlas Works'. Was that the correct name of their facility as I thought that Atlas Works was Firth Brown's across the street. Also what were FBT's premises, were they just Carlisle Street East (the rear being Forncett Street) to Carwood Road or they had other places?

Firth Brown Tools had a main machine shop on Carlisle Street which was on the Atlas site which was the name for that large area of steel works&also Firth Browns were on the Atlas site which was a seperate company. Firth Brown Tools was on the right hand side if you was travelling away from the city centre&opposite that was the shear blade section which was on the corner of Harleston Street& Forncett Street&also ran along Carlisle Street with the entrance to the workshop on Forncett Street&there were offices&a canteen which the entrance was on Harleston Street. There was also another part of the company named Marshalls Hard Metals on Windsor Street which ran of Saville Street.

Thanks Brian,

I used to take a lot of photos on prints and slides around the 1980s/90s with my 'Fugica SLR' which I still have, although it's in retirement now, like me :hihi:

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6113134017319812049

Hi Peter, Enclose you this picture of the Heavy Forge at Forgemasters

on Carlisle St. Not much to see on the right but thats where it is.

I keep meaning to mention that it can be heard anytime after midnight

and early morning when people are in there beds, far as Manor Top

and Norfolk Park. Hope all is well, have you looked out for any pics

to send. Brian :|

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6113134017319812049

Hi Peter, Enclose you this picture of the Heavy Forge at Forgemasters

on Carlisle St. Not much to see on the right but thats where it is.

I keep meaning to mention that it can be heard anytime after midnight

and early morning when people are in there beds, far as Manor Top

and Norfolk Park. Hope all is well, have you looked out for any pics

to send. Brian :|

Good picture and description but I think the location is a bit amiss. I suggest the photo is taken from the Weedon Street end of Brightside Lane looking towards Upwell street with the old English Steel Corps offices on the right.

---------- Post added 07-02-2015 at 16:59 ----------

:)

Hi Brian,

Lovely pic. I see the Kayser Ellison entrance sign near top right. It may have become part of Firth Brown's by our time and is at the junction of Carlisle Street and Sutherland Street. The lower part of the entrance was still there until recent times. Not sure if it still is?? The junction has always been a big roundabout in my memory, with Gower Street just out of sight on the left and Sutherland Road left of pic. :)

I took a picture of what was left of Kayser Ellison's entrance in 1990. It shows to the right of your pic. but the single door seen between the telegraph pole and the shoulder of the man in the foreground is just showing and you'll see the entrance gates which are to the right of it.. I'll try to scan the photo and add to this post next week.

Peter.

Great photo and I think the workers are leaving what was then known as Cammel's, later to become part of English Steel and the building that would be on the near right on Carlisle Street is, I believe is still standing. It was there when I was a kid in the 50's when I lived in the vicinity and it looked ancient then. As for who owns it now, that is pretty big premises. Kayser's I believe they were part of Sanderson Bros and Newbold? that had premises at Newhall Road and Worksop Road, Darnall and wasn't part of Firth Brown's.

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 12:58 ----------

Here's the pic.

Kayser%20Ellison_zpsx73fygep.jpg

---------- Post added 07-02-2015 at 18:16 ----------

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109835186737945953

Hiya Peter, What about this picture then.

Carlisle St 1900, In the heart of industrial Brightside a vast army of

heavy steel workers troop between work and home at the end of a

working day. In the years between 1841 and 1901, Brightside's

population grew from 10.000 to 75,000.

Hope you enjoy. Brian, talk Friday :|

The photo of workers leaving, most of whom are headed towards Gower Street are coming out of what was then Cammell-Laird later to become part of English Steel. The building they are exiting to the camera person's right is still there and goes for some distance from Sutherland Road to Saville Street and behind the camera to nearly Spital Hill. I wonder who owns it now and what used for as that is a big undertaking of property. It was there when I was a kid in the vicinity in the 50's and it looked ancient then. As for Kayser's (Kayser-Ellison) they were part of the then Sanderson Bros and Newbold on Newhall Road and had other premises at Worksop Road, Darnall. The Carlisle Street East premises (in picture) was subject to a very big fire the early 80's and that may have been the end of that site.

---------- Post added 07-02-2015 at 18:17 ----------

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6109835186737945953

Hiya Peter, What about this picture then.

Carlisle St 1900, In the heart of industrial Brightside a vast army of

heavy steel workers troop between work and home at the end of a

working day. In the years between 1841 and 1901, Brightside's

population grew from 10.000 to 75,000.

Hope you enjoy. Brian, talk Friday :|

The photo of workers leaving, most of whom are headed towards Gower Street are coming out of what was then Cammell-Laird later to become part of English Steel. The building they are exiting to the camera person's right is still there and goes for some distance from Sutherland Road to Saville Street and behind the camera to nearly Spital Hill. I wonder who owns it now and what used for as that is a big undertaking of property. It was there when I was a kid in the vicinity in the 50's and it looked ancient then. As for Kayser's (Kayser-Ellison) they were part of the then Sanderson Bros and Newbold on Newhall Road and had other premises at Worksop Road, Darnall. The Carlisle Street East premises (in picture) was subject to a very big fire the early 80's and that may have been the end of that site.

---------- Post added 07-02-2015 at 18:45 ----------

I remembered from a previous post that you worked at 40 gate Brian.

It's lovely to see the old works again, and the still existing building on the left covered in grime...proper :) It's good that the existing buildings are now preserved but they don't look quite right all cleaned.

Great photo, was brought up five minutes from there, however it seems the tram is on the wrong track because as the tram looks like it's going towards the Wicker- I think that's the driver's hand in the bottom front window-it should be on the nearer tracks but as it's a 'Special' and not a regular in service tram who knows? Also why would there be a cross over track at Carwood Road? The photo was taken from outside a pub. now long gone who's name I forget.

Edited by stpetre

Hi stpetre,

Very interesting to read your posts. I based my view on Kayser Ellison purely by seeing the sign with the first part of the name showing just behind the gas lamp on the pic. I bow to your close local knowledge. Could this have been a temporary sign, therefore misleading me?

Regarding the tram pic, I have placed a post on the thread 'Last 3 years of the city's trams' in an attempt to clarify the apparent crossover, which I hadn't noticed. The pub you mention would be the Norfolk Arms?

For the the tram pic type in u00152, and then for the pub s21850, and then for a bigger pic of the steelworks type in s14108 and click on zoom, after clicking this....http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Regards, Peter.

Since my quote above 'hillsbro' has kindly responded to my query on 'Last 3 years of the city's trams'

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Is there anybody there that worked at Firth Browns particularly late 60's early 70's especially in the Engineers Dept

If you type in Firth Brown on the internet, somewhere on there is their own short film of the company made in 1957. If you see it, that's what I call 'Working' at Firth Brown's ! The kind of men Cuttsie alluded to in his 'Famous Sheffield etc post.

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:17 ----------

Thanks Brian,

I used to take a lot of photos on prints and slides around the 1980s/90s with my 'Fugica SLR' which I still have, although it's in retirement now, like me :hihi:

Peter.

Hello Peter. I tried to reply to the other answer to me but it wouldn't take, however, the Kayser's sign was real enough and I believe was still there till at least the 70's. I didn't work at F.B. but my dad did, 1949-63 as well as during the war , at gate no8 on Carlisle Street east opposite the bottom of Atlas Street. As you have an impressive and excellent knowledge of your time there, would I be right in saying that they became 'Johnson Firth-Brown' a long time before the Forgemasters title came about? I find this site and photos very evocative.

Edited by stpetre
Addition

If you type in Firth Brown on the internet, somewhere on there is their own short film of the company made in 1957. If you see it, that's what I call 'Working' at Firth Brown's ! The kind of men Cuttsie alluded to in his 'Famous Sheffield etc post.

---------- Post added 08-02-2015 at 19:17 ----------

Hello Peter. I tried to reply to the other answer to me but it wouldn't take, however, the Kayser's sign was real enough and I believe was still there till at least the 70's. I didn't work at F.B. but my dad did, 1949-63 as well as during the war , at gate no8 on Carlisle Street east opposite the bottom of Atlas Street. As you have an impressive and excellent knowledge of your time there, would I be right in saying that they became 'Johnson Firth-Brown' a long time before the Forgemasters title came about? I find this site and photos very evocative.

Hello stpetre,

The film, which has sound and colour, is titled 'Firth Brown-A tour of the Works (1957)' and can be seen on here http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com

However, I also bought it on dvd from them last year to watch it on my tv screen.

Their logo is in the corner of the screen, which is understandable but not desireable. The logo was rather bright and spoiled the viewing for me. However I contacted them and they sent me a copy, which they had adjusted, free of charge. The logo was much fainter and didn't intrude anyway near as much. I really enjoy watching the film. It takes me right back to that time. I recognise the shops shown as I walked through them for short cuts as a 15 years old office junior in 1959 taking documents to other offices. Particularly interesting for me is the Siemens Electric Furnace shop where I learned to drive an overhead crane in the scrap inwards section, which would be used in the furnace. Also the massive 4000 tons Heavy Forge Press with the intense heat emitted. I could go on and on :)

Re your question about Johnson Firth Brown. It was still Firth Brown when I left in 1965. I source a lot of info from http://www.picturesheffield.com and have typed in Johnson Firth Brown but nothing comes up. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Stpetre, Thank for spotting my mistake regaring the heavy forge that

was taken from Weedon St of Brightside Lane.

Hold mi hand up, i do slip up now and then and glad you liked the picture and

knowing your whereabout at Sheffield 4. Brian.

Hello stpetre,

The film, which has sound and colour, is titled 'Firth Brown-A tour of the Works (1957)' and can be seen on here http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com

However, I also bought it on dvd from them last year to watch it on my tv screen.

Their logo is in the corner of the screen, which is understandable but not desireable. The logo was rather bright and spoiled the viewing for me. However I contacted them and they sent me a copy, which they had adjusted, free of charge. The logo was much fainter and didn't intrude anyway near as much. I really enjoy watching the film. It takes me right back to that time. I recognise the shops shown as I walked through them for short cuts as a 15 years old office junior in 1959 taking documents to other offices. Particularly interesting for me is the Siemens Electric Furnace shop where I learned to drive an overhead crane in the scrap inwards section, which would be used in the furnace. Also the massive 4000 tons Heavy Forge Press with the intense heat emitted. I could go on and on :)

Re your question about Johnson Firth Brown. It was still Firth Brown when I left in 1965. I source a lot of info from http://www.picturesheffield.com and have typed in Johnson Firth Brown but nothing comes up. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Peter.

Doesn't matter about the type input, it was Firth Brown not Johnnson Firth Brown, because that's the film anyway. I think the Johnson thing (a Manchester company I believe) happened around 1973. Thanks again.

The building which was Cammell-Laird is now Allvac Ltd. This company was formed when Allvac bought Special Metal Products, part of what was Sheffield Forgemasters and earlier Firth Browns. Firth Browns became Johnson and Firth browns in the early '70s when Richard Johnson and Nephew (a Manchester company, if I remember correctly) took over or amalgamated with Firth Browns. They appointed their own directors to "sort out " the company, I think the top man at the time was Oliver Jessell.

My grandparent were the caretakers. They lived on Fersfield Street/Princess street

Hi Did any one work at firth brown tools on Carlisle St 1968/72:loopy:

My dad ron farrand use to work Firth brown tools on Carlisle st about that time. He was stock control manger