Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

ey up Dave

hows it goin ? yes i see Terry regular ,i have been with him all day today.

Anyone know My Dad .He Worked At Firth Browns.His Name was Albert Hall we left for Australia in 68

I worked at FBT in the late 60s. Does anybody remember John Linley, Chalkie White, Jimmy Bingham, Jigger etc?

I remember john lindley as a very good footballer, I played in goal for 2nd team and right wing for 1st team

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 23:54 ----------

Hi Did any one work at firth brown tools on Carlisle St 1968/72:loopy:

Hi cliffboy, I started 1967 until 1974 who are you? Did you play in any of the football or rounders teams?

I worked at Firth Browns in the Commercial Drawing Office. Started in 1949 left to go in the RAF for three years then went back on the drawing board again in July of 1954

my father was a steel inspector there in the 1930s.

My wife worked in the mailing room then the typing pool. Her father was a foreman in the haulage dept.

My uncle Dick worked for Firth Vickers all his working life.

I captained the under 18s cricket team 1950/51 and we won the Sheffield and District works association league when Tommy Gregg managed us.

I also played for the Atlas & Norfolk first team when Tommy Ambler was one of the opening batsmen.Fred Green was also in the side.

It was good to see the small block which housed the Drawing Office is still there on Savile Street.

D H.

How very interesting to read your thread. Born in 1907, my father played for Atlas & Norfolk from his teenage years until his late 40s in the 50s so you may even have played on the same team in spite of the age gap. He was Albert May and was a blacksmith at Firth Vickers on Weedon Street. He played very successfully in their football teams after the First World War and into the 20s. I wear two of his winning medals as very unusual pendants to this day! He was a wicketkeeper and very handy batsman on the cricket team. I have very vivid memories of happy Saturday afternoons spent at Roe Lane Sports Ground. Do not imagine there is any evidence of it today as I have tried to find it on Google. The former Sports Minister, Richard Cabourn, watched his father play on the same team. Best wishes, Pauline Underwood Durham

Hello Pudfred Pauline,

My name is Derek (Dan) Hennessy,

Just read your recent post, sorry I did not know your father he was as you say a bit older than me. I am now 81 being in my teens and early twenties at Firth Browns.

One thing I can tell you is that the old Atlas & Norfolk sports fields are still showing on Google Earth if you use it.

Type in Shirecliffe ,opp Standish Drive you will then see the football and cricket pitches and what seems to be the remains of the old pavilion/ changing rooms/ bar etc. it is now Sheffield United's training ground.

All the best Dan H

Hi Dan

Thank you so much for that info and very prompt too! My Dad might not have taken kindly to the fact that United train at Roe Lane now as he was blue and white through and through! ? Cheers Pauline

Hello Pauline,

No doubt. Your dad would have enjoyed the same footballers as I did and the "Green Un" every Saturday evening with those great caricatures of the sportsmen of the day by Heap.

I lived at Dinnington as a child and into my teens. And early twenties. I would watch whichever team was at home on the Saturday. United one week Wednesday the next.

I remember as your dad would have Redfern Frogatt, Albert Qiuxall, Derek Dooley etc, also with the blades Alex Forbes, and my favourite the superb Jimmy Hagan.

Take care,Dan

Good morning!

We really must stop meeting like this! Once again your comments brought back so many vivid memories as the Green ' Un was indeed a must in our household too. My Dad often sat and with a lead pencil, would copy those caricatures and very good he was too! I have one of his copies framed on my wall to this day!

As a youngster I went to Owlerton with him every home game and Redfern Froggatt was perhaps my first crush.... Very handsome as I remember. I think I am right when I say that people were absolutely staggered when Albert Quixall was transferred for a record £45,000 many moons ago when that was a great deal of money! He was a very approachable young man who had time for his supporters. I also remember Derrick Dooley being a record goal scorer but his career coming to a tragic end when he damaged a leg on a very muddy pitch and subsequent injury and complications led to amputation. He lived very close to my parents in Norton. Once again, memories from many years ago and perhaps very different characters from an awful lot of today's sportsmen! Pity. Cheers Pauline

Albert Quixall had a sister who lived next door to us in Crosspool way back early 60's. His son used to visit occasionally. Probably so did he but I never saw him.

Hi Brian,

Nice to see the pic in colour.

I understand that Forgemasters are producing more tonnage now than ever before. I suppose automation had to come to be able to compete.

As you say though, one does wonder how it affected the lives of those who lost their jobs. Fortunately I changed careers some time before the closures came. It was great to work with a lot of lovely people in those days though, and see the hundreds of people at work just in my small part of Firth Browns. That's why I love to look back on that time in my life.

A lifestyle that will probably never return in the same way.

Peter.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b547/bkershaw96/OldCanteenSavilleSt-46_zps0d427d46.jpg

Hi Peter R, I enclose you picture of old Firth Browns Canteen on Saville St you can just see

old Norfolk Arms pub on corner, I had lots of hot meals in canteen. Happy days. Brian.

Edited by brian1941
wording

Hi Brian.

I recognise the doorway to the old canteen on Saville Street East.

Also the pub at the junction with Princess Street. It's lovely that the buildings still exist.

I preferred the road in 1959 when I started worked at FB. Two way, with the odd bus, tram, lorry limited to 30mph and the occasional car or motorbike and sidecar trundling along. The one way system is like a Formula One start now when the traffic lights up the road change to green. What a racket and dust storm until the red light comes on. Step out at your peril :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR