Advice about the Work Programme - Jobcentre / A4E

That is subjective.

He could look to starting his own business.

If the dole was a basic income, he could afford to work for £1 an hour and compete with Chinese labour, the poor bugger is priced out of work by the system, and now he is forced to waste his time, stopping him from breaking free from the system.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/enterprise-clubs/

It takes a few hours to start a business. At which point he's no longer unemployed and has no reason (or right) to be on a work programme does he.

Claiming benefit isn't something you can carry on doing whilst building up your new business, it stops when the business starts.

There should be a basic income, to allow the person to work, people are being priced out of productie work, they have to compete with large corporations that have tax breaks, subsidy and that can benefit from economy of scale.

Many business are subsidised.

A4E as an example.

Same scheme, different name, less money.

You get the JSA component of dole for 13 weeks, then 50% of that for 13 weeks.

But only if you've been unemployed 6 months.

The system is that messed up, that you'd be better off contracting for the likes of A4E, with the objective of employing yourself to claim the back to work bonus to pay your own wages.

You don't do anything productive, you receive more money from the state and get to drop off the employment figures.

Single mothers should become childcarers and swap their children with each other to claim the childcare element of working tax credits.

It's ain't productive, but good for GDP, classes them as employed and up's their benefits/tax credits.

There should be a basic income, to allow the person to work, people are being priced out of productie work, they have to compete with large corporations that have tax breaks, subsidy and that can benefit from economy of scale.

Many business are subsidised.

A4E as an example.

Having a contract to provide services to the government is not a subsidy.

There might be some merit in the idea of a basic income for everyone, unfortunately it ignores the reality that money doesn't grow on trees. If everyone was guaranteed money that was sufficient to live on, why would anyone bother to work, and then where would the money for the basic income come from?

These schemes benefit very few people, apart from the people in Management or people higher up who get very good wages.

During my time as a Tutor in one of these venues it became very clear that the clients (lone parents and people on incapacity) had a very poor education, in fact non-exsistant and in many cases had serious self esteem/confidence problems.

One of the ways that I attempted to get around this was to to introduce IT training and also numeracy. I deliberatly would set a task at the start of the week that would appear impossible, for example - workout what 43% of 4556 is without the use of a calculator. Over the week I would drip feed the maths around the compulsary modules and by the end of the week about 95% of the students could work out the percentage of any number without the use of a calculator.

I also introduced IT Training, in particular Word Processing for the simple reason that this software has a spell-checker, and it hid the fact many of the clients had poor handwriting skills. From the point of view of the client, it boosted there self confidence (good for women who are regular victims of violence by men) and allowed them to create something in front of there very own eyes.

Of course, it then led onto the use of emailing, and in particular attaching a CV. The students were taught to create a Cv and attach it to an email, which is much quicker than handwriting an application form.

As a result the numbers shot up, the students loved the training, there self confidence was boosted and many actually got jobs.......

Bear in mind that for many jobs students will have to complete a basic maths paper and in many cases demonstrate that they can use a computer. So if you have students who cannot do maths, they get past the job interview stage for a checkout operator in a Supermarket, they can't get the job because they cannot pass the maths test.

This was a key for students getting jobs (proper jobs, full time and with terms and conditions)

ANYWAY....up poped a big wig and said "oh no, you can't teach IT and Maths as that is not your job"

I was told to scrap the IT and Maths lessons and in there place I had to teach a syllabus that was quite offensive to the the students, ie, prior to an interviews - the students have to ask themselves "do I smell?" or other items that wer just downright silly like "don't take your pets to the interview" - what is this? why is this funded?

Again, I had to do CV Training which was pointless as many students did not have any qualiications or work history. At least with the IT and Maths Training I could send them off to a testing centre, and the students would then have a qualification to put on a CV. One of my students went from a Dinner Lady, Cleaner (for 20 years) to a receptionist/admin worker in a local office for £9 a hour!!!! - - - - - simply because she passed a level 2 IT Qualification. Needless to say she was as happy as a tom cat that had a wooden willy.

I heard so may horror storys in relation to A4e or other providers, Tutors being nasty to the students, students making things out of plastercine etc....

Not forgetting the 3 week placements that landed many of these training providers with £2000 bonus - simply because the student did a 3 week stint at a local employer. Many of the students were devastated, because the thought they had landed a real job, when the reality was they were simply pawns being used by these providers to draw down funding.

Why are these training providers so against giving students a proper education? is it a case of self interest and self presevation? if these students are given the skills to gain proper employment then they won't be coming back for training.......if that happens, many of the tutors/managers may find themselves out of work.

Its a gravy train for many providers and cheap labour for people who take advantage of the free workers. Scrap these things and in there place, lets have proper education

Edited by Shef_Fitness

Individuals on work placements/volunteering in this way ARE insured under employer's liability insurance and are protected under health and safety at work laws. However, because there isn't an employment contract employment laws do not apply

I think you should look at the laws and rules regarding employers liability as only paid employees are covered. Volunteers, which those on work placements are, are not covered unless a separate policy is taken out to cover volunteers. The gov website will tell you of the exclusions and volunteers are one of them, those on training schemes and youth training schemes are also not covered.

There was an article a short while ago about a company who used to take on volunteers that stopped doing so as their employers liability insurance did not cover volunteers. Taking out extra cover was too expensive for them.

H&S laws do apply but employment laws don't. The data protection act also applies and must be adhered to. Asking questions about a client that can personally identify them will be in breach of that act.

So basically those on work placements are not being given equal status or the same rights as paid workers and as such are being discriminated against.

These schemes benefit very few people, apart from the people in Management or people higher up who get very good wages.

During my time as a Tutor in one of these venues it became very clear that the clients (lone parents and people on incapacity) had a very poor education, in fact non-exsistant and in many cases had serious self esteem/confidence problems.

One of the ways that I attempted to get around this was to to introduce IT training and also numeracy. I deliberatly would set a task at the start of the week that would appear impossible, for example - workout what 43% of 4556 is without the use of a calculator. Over the week I would drip feed the maths around the compulsary modules and by the end of the week about 95% of the students could work out the percentage of any number without the use of a calculator.

I also introduced IT Training, in particular Word Processing for the simple reason that this software has a spell-checker, and it hid the fact many of the clients had poor handwriting skills. From the point of view of the client, it boosted there self confidence (good for women who are regular victims of violence by men) and allowed them to create something in front of there very own eyes.

Of course, it then led onto the use of emailing, and in particular attaching a CV. The students were taught to create a Cv and attach it to an email, which is much quicker than handwriting an application form.

As a result the numbers shot up, the students loved the training, there self confidence was boosted and many actually got jobs.......

Bear in mind that for many jobs students will have to complete a basic maths paper and in many cases demonstrate that they can use a computer. So if you have students who cannot do maths, they get past the job interview stage for a checkout operator in a Supermarket, they can't get the job because they cannot pass the maths test.

This was a key for students getting jobs (proper jobs, full time and with terms and conditions)

ANYWAY....up poped a big wig and said "oh no, you can't teach IT and Maths as that is not your job"

I was told to scrap the IT and Maths lessons and in there place I had to teach a syllabus that was quite offensive to the the students, ie, prior to an interviews - the students have to ask themselves "do I smell?" or other items that wer just downright silly like "don't take your pets to the interview" - what is this? why is this funded?

Again, I had to do CV Training which was pointless as many students did not have any qualiications or work history. At least with the IT and Maths Training I could send them off to a testing centre, and the students would then have a qualification to put on a CV. One of my students went from a Dinner Lady, Cleaner (for 20 years) to a receptionist/admin worker in a local office for £9 a hour!!!! - - - - - simply because she passed a level 2 IT Qualification. Needless to say she was as happy as a tom cat that had a wooden willy.

I heard so may horror storys in relation to A4e or other providers, Tutors being nasty to the students, students making things out of plastercine etc....

Not forgetting the 3 week placements that landed many of these training providers with £2000 bonus - simply because the student did a 3 week stint at a local employer. Many of the students were devastated, because the thought they had landed a real job, when the reality was they were simply pawns being used by these providers to draw down funding.

Why are these training providers so against giving students a proper education? is it a case of self interest and self presevation? if these students are given the skills to gain proper employment then they won't be coming back for training.......if that happens, many of the tutors/managers may find themselves out of work.

Its a gravy train for many providers and cheap labour for people who take advantage of the free workers. Scrap these things and in there place, lets have proper education

What about people who do have an high education? Are they expected to sit in these classes and feel like a complete donut?

I am highly educated and I don't need any help at all in the education department. Will I be made to take these classes?

I'm really not looking forward to going especially if I will be made out to be an idiot.

I still don't understand why I have been referred here already when I have only been unemployed since May. :huh:

I was told on monday i was going to serco,I had great pleasure telling them the day after where to go after i found out i had got the job i was after...all done by myself with no help from jc or any silly goverment course's....so up yours a4e/serco/dwp and jc :D

What about people who do have an high education? Are they expected to sit in these classes and feel like a complete donut?

I am highly educated and I don't need any help at all in the education department. Will I be made to take these classes?

I'm really not looking forward to going especially if I will be made out to be an idiot.

I still don't understand why I have been referred here already when I have only been unemployed since May. :huh:

You can conscientiously object with sincerity.

You can conscientiously object with sincerity.

And then I would have my benefits stopped and I need to pay the bills.

I just don't want to go there and be spoken to like I am stupid and can't be bothered to get a job because I will probably speak my mind and that will also result in me getting my JSA being stopped.

The job interview I went to today looked promising so I am keeping my fingers, toes and whatever else I can crossed.

i have just found this about the work programme in the Midlands,http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/03/cutting-charities-funding-serco it seems they make huge profits from the goodness of peoples hearts. typical !!. and the government promote this!

And then I would have my benefits stopped and I need to pay the bills.

I just don't want to go there and be spoken to like I am stupid and can't be bothered to get a job because I will probably speak my mind and that will also result in me getting my JSA being stopped.

The job interview I went to today looked promising so I am keeping my fingers, toes and whatever else I can crossed.

Sanctions:

You wil be sanctioned (benefits stopped), if you miss an appointment, fail/refuse to apply for a job (whether its a real vacancy or not), if you refuse to go on a training course, or unpaid work placement, if you refuse to take a job, or leave a placement early.

Reasonable justification:

They will not apply sanctions IF:

Disease/disability prevents you from attending or could put another person at risk.

If the work places your health and safety at risk.

You have a sincere religious/concientious objection.

Travelling time to placement exceeds 60 minutes in each direction (i.e. 2 hours a day travel).

If you have childcare responsibilites and/or cost of providing childcare unreasonable.

If you have to arrange/attend a funeral of a close family member or friend.

Had to deal with a domestic emergency, crew/launch a lifeboat, work as a part time firefighter, or work as part of group helping others in a time of emergency.

If you were NOT notified by the DWP in writing about said scheme and potential sanctions.