Court sentences for rioters

My question is why different standards being imposed for all offences committed during the riots than have hitherto been the norm.

The magistrates courts have given prison sentences for petty pilfering and referred other cases to the Crown courts so that heavier sentences will be given.

Will such sentences become the norm in the future,and will the sudden availability of prison places continue,instead of early releases and avoidance of custodial sentences because of the pressures on the prison system.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at in this post but in my opinion i think that anyone and everyone over 16 should get a prison sentence if they were involved in the riot, otherwise they'll just do it again. Anyone under 16 involved which there are at least two certain cases of, should be made to do intense community service after school and during school holidays.

Asbo are nothing to them they mean nothing and they do nothing to stop them, slaps on the hands are not going to teach the youth to get in line. I think for all the damage they have done, the homes and jobs they have cost people they deserve EVERYTHING they get.

Further more, for these young cases of 10 and 11 year old children who got involved i think the social services needs to take a good hard look at the parents and make sure they are suitable to even have the kid!!!!

asbo's do nothing apart from a label which some think its a badge and wear it pride. I think community service for youngesters is only good, they can start working within their community and see what distruction they have caused, even 10 and 11 years should see what they have done to people they should face the people who have lost their homes and buisness and listen to how people are feeling.

Though people should not allowed to get away with what they have done, and the courts system is doing all it can under the present system.

Though i do think there should be a process is in place for the future for large scale rioting of this kind, in accordance to age and crime.

I do think the government should look at how kides are being brought up maybe the government could stop making cuts to community budgets.

Three things have to be sorted out before anything else, firstly discipline has to be restored in schools, benefits have to be earned and sentences have to be a deterrent. While the money flows in bad parents don't care so long as they can buy their booze, drugs and cigs, while the yobs get chance after chance and can lay in bed till noon so they can be out in early hours they don't care, while they continue coming out of education with no education, no chance of a job and no respect for anything then we are doomed.

WasThatWise i completely and utterly agree with everything you say. Stronger discipline instead of waiting behind half hour after school is needed, agree completely with benefits, we're on benefits at the moment and we hate it, fingers crossed my hubby might have got a job interview so we'll hopefully be well away from it soon, but alot of kids and their parents just abuse the system for what they can get.

Parents who don't care for their children properly, who booze and take drugs...simple solution, social services make life hell for them until they sort it out and their benefits get cut.

Its disgusting really

asbo's do nothing apart from a label which some think its a badge and wear it pride. I think community service for youngesters is only good, they can start working within their community and see what distruction they have caused, even 10 and 11 years should see what they have done to people they should face the people who have lost their homes and buisness and listen to how people are feeling.

Though people should not allowed to get away with what they have done, and the courts system is doing all it can under the present system.

Though i do think there should be a process is in place for the future for large scale rioting of this kind, in accordance to age and crime.

I do think the government should look at how kides are being brought up maybe the government could stop making cuts to community budgets.

In general agree with most of your points, I would like to add that I think a good starting point would be to have all the unemployed who are actively looking for work and able bodied, go out into their communities and perform voluntary work. This would hopefully instill some pride in their area. It would also benefit in that we should see less taxpayers money spent on cleaning, gardening etc.

Three things have to be sorted out before anything else, firstly discipline has to be restored in schools, benefits have to be earned and sentences have to be a deterrent. While the money flows in bad parents don't care so long as they can buy their booze, drugs and cigs, while the yobs get chance after chance and can lay in bed till noon so they can be out in early hours they don't care, while they continue coming out of education with no education, no chance of a job and no respect for anything then we are doomed.

One of my pet hates is when I watch one of the police programmes on TV and wait until the summary at the end only to hear that person A has been given a four month suspended sentence for nicking and trashing a car etc.....

Let's have the consequence of crime be of a level which will deter crime in the first place.

In general agree with most of your points, I would like to add that I think a good starting point would be to have all the unemployed who are actively looking for work and able bodied, go out into their communities and perform voluntary work. This would hopefully instill some pride in their area. It would also benefit in that we should see less taxpayers money spent on cleaning, gardening etc.

But the leadslingers will not turn up, turn up late, not try when they get there, cause trouble so they get thrown off the scheme because there will be no penalty and they can stay in bed.

One of my pet hates is when I watch one of the police programmes on TV and wait until the summary at the end only to hear that person A has been given a four month suspended sentence for nicking and trashing a car etc.....

Let's have the consequence of crime be of a level which will deter crime in the first place.

It's a pity there isn't more information available because the other night a guy was caught driving with no insurance and suspected of being drunk, but refused to provide a breath specimen which is in itself an automatic ban, at the end of the program we were informed he was released without charge.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at in this post but in my opinion i think that anyone and everyone over 16 should get a prison sentence if they were involved in the riot, otherwise they'll just do it again. Anyone under 16 involved which there are at least two certain cases of, should be made to do intense community service after school and during school holidays.

Asbo are nothing to them they mean nothing and they do nothing to stop them, slaps on the hands are not going to teach the youth to get in line. I think for all the damage they have done, the homes and jobs they have cost people they deserve EVERYTHING they get.

Further more, for these young cases of 10 and 11 year old children who got involved i think the social services needs to take a good hard look at the parents and make sure they are suitable to even have the kid!!!!

I think the point I am making agrees with you in that we have arrived at this point by lenient sentences and tolerance of petty pilfering ,vandalism and anti social behaviour.this is not just from children and teenagers,but also from the previous generation who grew up through the eighties onwards when I think that standards in schooling,policing and common courtesies were eroded.

What I am asking is that the standards now being applied to offences during the riots will be applied as the norm,or only in the context of the riots.

I am in favour of strong deterrents from those in authority,so that the general law abiding population has some support.

Without getting too political it now seems that there will be a backlash from our leaders seeking to gain popularity for solving the problem with no acknowledgement of their past responsibility for arriving at this state of affairs.

But the leadslingers will not turn up, turn up late, not try when they get there, cause trouble so they get thrown off the scheme because there will be no penalty and they can stay in bed.

The best way to counteract this (and yes, there will always be people like that) is to have strong leadership - oh and cut benefits. See it like this; if you get say £50 a week in benefits, each day you earn £10 of it. Every day you don't turn up or are disruptive, you lose £10.

But don't think this idea is just aimed at the slackers - it's aimed a ALL unemployed, even two of my friends who have been unemployed for a couple of years (and they are nice guys).

It's a pity there isn't more information available because the other night a guy was caught driving with no insurance and suspected of being drunk, but refused to provide a breath specimen which is in itself an automatic ban, at the end of the program we were informed he was released without charge.

That is exactly my point. they should have automatically crushed his car. MASSIVE deterrent.