Is David Starkey Right ?

Thugs are thugs, it's as simple as that. They choose to engage in anti social behaviour whatever colour they are and aren't driven to do so by Snoop Doggy Dogg any more than the Blades Business Crew are marshalled by Danny Wilson.

Most thugs I see and know of all races do all seem to be into Grime music and rap, especially the type which promotes criminality...

Most thugs I see and know of all races do all seem to be into Grime music and rap, especially the type which promotes criminality...

Does it surprise you that people who are keen on a criminal lifestyle, like music which promotes a criminal lifestyle?

I'm still not sure why anyone thought skin colour was a factor in all this.

Rap and criminality go hand in hand. No other music genre is so closely associated with criminal gangs, drug dealers, ostentatious displays of wealth and violence, including sexual violence.

I don't think he is entirely right.

The criminal gang culture is a result of many, many causes over maybe two decades, which we can only all speculate over and theorise as there will never be any concrete proof.

IMO the causes include but are not limited to:

1) Political correctness and a move towards 'human rights culture' which has lead to a vast drop in respect for police authority. Now they can't say boo to a goose without some lefty fainting somwhere.

2) An over generous welfare system has given too many people a sense of entitlement rather than a sense of earning anything.

3) Bad parenting probably the biggest single factor.

Thugs are thugs, it's as simple as that. They choose to engage in anti social behaviour whatever colour they are and aren't driven to do so by Snoop Doggy Dogg any more than the Blades Business Crew are marshalled by Danny Wilson.

Well said. Some of the biggest pieces of scum I have ever met have been white and british by birth and some of the nicest most genuine people have been dark skinned.

There are good and bad in every race colour and creed.

Black people have been in this country for centuries, there is no real English or British people we are made up of all sorts of races from Angles Vikings Normans and Celts England has all ways been a multicultural society from Romans to Picks they have all come here in the past leaving there bit of influence on this country, being a big name history man you would have thought he would have thought about the history of this country, I think most of the influence comes from American films and video games they seem to be a big influence on the youth of today, the bad attitude and smarty ares misbehavior can all be seen on American TV, remember there is good and bad in all races,as for the riots I saw as many white faces as brown faces most of them were youths or school kids.

I think a distinction needs to be made between black culture and "gangsta" culture. There are hundreds of black people who have nothing to do with the gangsta culture just as there are hundreds of "gangstas" who are not black.

Skin colour has absolutely nothing to do with this! Its a sterotype yet again. I do however, completely agree with anyone who says the gangsta culture has had a devastating effect on young people and the overall culture of the UK. It has left people living in fear to even step outside their front door.

Rap music in general has had an effect because the young hear constant lyrics about drugs, violence and money so they are quick to perceive that this is a good way to go. However it is not the only thing which has caused the problem.

Could you do me a favour and tell me what you believe "black culture" is?

Personally I have rose tinted images of god fearing middle aged Jamaican women bustling to church on Sundays in their flowery finest. Old black men slapping dominoes down on the table in the local hostelry and quaffing stout or Irish Moss. Occasionally I might come across genial rastas with an affection for the waccy baccy and soliciting me to "try it and buy it". Universally they all have a love of cricket, and the small islanders tend to have a persecution complex which sometimes manifests itself.

There are t's being dotted and i's being crossed here..black culture isn't an homogeneous entity, too many issues are being confused and described as such.

The pernicious effects of some rap music propagated by black 'artists', but often signed to record companies under white ownership, are being attributed to 'black culture', but making such a simplistic claim is like blaming football hooliganism on 'white culture', I suspect that wouldn't be representative of the type of culture David Starkey might want to be associated with.

I often used to see West Indian funerals at the Baptist church near the bottom of Cemetery Road. The horse drawn hearse in gleaming black, the horses with plumes on their heads, everyone was very respectfully dressed.

Well if that's part of 'black culture', it will do for me.

Bill Cosby would agree with this Starkey fellow I'm sure, anyhow It's much easier to blame the Yanks for the riots :)

It is also worth pointing out that it isn't even all rap - there is non-drug/money/violence rap out there too.

Yes of course, and it is often overlooked due to the gangsta rap that has taken hold amongst the youth.

Bill Cosby would agree with this Starkey fellow I'm sure, anyhow It's much easier to blame the Yanks for the riots :)

Give the lady a hug... We love America!

A lot of the worst rap either comes from militant countries (often extremist Islamic hotbeds) or from 'ghetto' American districts.

Most mainstream rap is fine, but that is really what many would call pop rap (not that that term is used.)