Apprenticeships do vary the guy about his engineering cousin is right, i recently finished a business admin apprenticeship for the council on £2.70 a hour and luckily got taken on after that on a proper wage, but i went for a interview at TATA Steel (Corus) which was a big salary over £7 a hour for an engineering apprenticeship. Just depends on the company and what you do!

You're too late already.

You'll be VERY VERY lucky to get into any sort of apprenticeship scheme at your age, as the employer will have to part fund you.

HAHA do you know anything your talking about ? how is he too old ? i went for another electrical engineering interview for a bernsleigh homes apprenticeship im 19 years old and the majority of people who went was over 30! its the country thats lead people to get any sort of work possible, if the company wants somebody reliable and committed it doesnt matter how old they are.

HAHA do you know anything your talking about ? how is he too old ? i went for another electrical engineering interview for a bernsleigh homes apprenticeship im 19 years old and the majority of people who went was over 30! its the country thats lead people to get any sort of work possible, if the company wants somebody reliable and committed it doesnt matter how old they are.

The majority of people who went? You mean the other 3 people they employed as apprentices?

Don't get me wrong you can find them, but the majority of apprenticeships ran by the local colleges and so on won't bother.

The majority of people who went? You mean the other 3 people they employed as apprentices?

Don't get me wrong you can find them, but the majority of apprenticeships ran by the local colleges and so on won't bother.

That is where you are wrong.

I worked for a training provider and we had apprentices in their 20's and 30's.

We even had one woman learning with us who was 72!

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Be-An-Apprentice/The-Basics.aspx

I hope this will help you.

If you're looking to an engineering apprenticeship then I'd recommend you start with a PEO (Performing Engineering Operations) course through Brinsworth Training.

Its a 14 week but once you've completed it, employers are much more likely to consider you for either an apprenticeship or a position within their company.

Completion of the course shows a potential employer that you're serious about a career in engineering and not just applying for every position that arises. Its also shows them that you have a basic knowledge of tools, health & safety and what is involved in working in an engineering environment.

I've been touting Brinsworth Training since they helped my own son get an engineering apprenticeship and since then umpteem friends sons have followed suit and all found work.

Chesterfield College have their own department for sorting out apprenticeships (Learning Unlimited) for all ages and interests. They cover SWouth Yorkshire, NE Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, so should be able to find something in your region.

Their website isn't working at the moment but they're a really helpful bunch. Send them an email ([email protected]) or call 01246 500680