Thousands of families forced into substandard accommodation

10 years ago

10 years ago it was well nigh impossible to let a lot of "social housing" - anybody with a job was moving into the private rented market or buying there own home.

There are plenty of inhabitable family homes around at nearly half the 160k quoted

Which makes you wonder how transferring parkhill from the council to a private company, giving them £10 million + in subsidy already to stop the scheme going tits up. Losing out on 1000 * 5 (maybe more) years of council tax and rent, could ever have been a good idea.

The initial plan was for £160M to be spent, that's £160000 per flat.

You could have demolished and rebuilt for less.

City lofts can't even achieve prices that high! (Although to be fair, the properties there are a lot lot smaller).

Edited by chem1st
numerical mistake

I just did a quick search and found 298, 3+ bedrooms in, or around Sheffield for under £80,000

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/sheffield/?radius=0&beds_min=3&price_max=90000&keywords=house&q=sheffield&results_sort=lowest_price&pn=2

And people can't afford them. Those prices will have to drop if people wish to sell.

Generation rent are being forced into a kind of housing-slavery. Where they pay rent indefinitely to their LandLORDS.

Youth unemployment is so high, that the youth can't even look after their own cohort of non workers, meanwhile the population is becoming top heavy, and pensions and old aged healthcare is costing ever more. There will soon be under 3 workers per pensioner. We are screwed. House prices are screwed, general living standards are being forced down further.

There is a massive lack of affordable housing and it is adversely affecting the economy. Those running it (into the ground), need to stop, breathe and then make a rational decision to start building housing. Were building less now than in the 1920s, we have many unemployed builders, and a massive demand for housing.

I'd like to think my peers could bring their children up in houses where there was a garden for the child to play in (can't afford two anymore, having 1 is pushing it), where the child might even have its own bedroom.

Instead the idea is for under 35 year olds to live in shared houses. I despair, I really do.

I believe that living in a Council house became something of an enigma when it was suddenly deemed to be "Social housing". Not quite sure where that term came from.

I was born and brought up in Council houses (my mum still lives in one) and never felt ashamed of coming from such a background.

These days people who live in Council properties seem to be scorned upon and are deemed to be the lowest of the low and yet a person can pay hundreds of pounds to RENT a sub-standard home from an unscrupulous landlord and this is deemed to be okay as it isn't a property that belongs to either the Council or a housing association - it is this logic that I cannot get my head around.

Chem1st,how dare you say we were lucky,we worked damn hard all our lives to buy a house. There is no luck involved,just prudence,and the sooner some people get off their backsides and earn a living,the sooner they can afford property.

One of the obstacles to the young end have is they want everything brand new. When we started out you bought what you could afford,and put up with second hand furniture,or did without.

If people can afford to drink in the pub all day,having abreak now and then to visit the bookies,they deserve all they get when demanding houses given on a plate.

Chem1st,how dare you say we were lucky,we worked damn hard all our lives to buy a house. There is no luck involved,just prudence,and the sooner some people get off their backsides and earn a living,the sooner they can afford property.

One of the obstacles to the young end have is they want everything brand new. When we started out you bought what you could afford,and put up with second hand furniture,or did without.

If people can afford to drink in the pub all day,having abreak now and then to visit the bookies,they deserve all they get when demanding houses given on a plate.

don't forget the latest xbox, ds, playstation, etc their child has to have so they get loans that have an horrendous amount of interest and think it's ok because they only have to pay a tenner a week back - just think what they could do if they put that tenner into a savings account, it would soon build up. I know several young people who have saved their money and can now afford a house, it's about getting your priorities right and not expecting everything handed on a plate as people think should be done now adays.

Not many people live like this, good honest working people can't rent affordable housing, let alone purchase it. They make do with 2nd hand stuff or go without.

8am in the centre what do you see?

Young people going to work, and at about 9am the pensioners descend on our retail centres, hordes of them shuffling along, whizzing about on their scooters, ready to spend, zombie consumers. A never ending stream of them. The odd young person on his way to the job centre to apply for a job in a warehouse or shop, ready to supply the mass produced goods imported from wherever the wags are lowest.

Do you think you were hard done by? Or lucky?

Told Thatcher sold you cheap council housing, leaving none for the next generation. Not even to rent. You can privately rent a room in a shared (ex-council) maisonette...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=839394

Wage are lower than in the 70s if you take into account inflation.

Ok, a TV is cheap, but what use is a tv when you long term goal is to start a family? Affordable housing is your priority, you want a house with a garden. Perhaps even an allotment.

Surely somebody working full time on minimum wage should be able to rent a modest house with a garden and start a family?

don't forget the latest xbox, ds, playstation, etc their child has to have so they get loans that have an horrendous amount of interest and think it's ok because they only have to pay a tenner a week back - just think what they could do if they put that tenner into a savings account, it would soon build up. I know several young people who have saved their money and can now afford a house, it's about getting your priorities right and not expecting everything handed on a plate as people think should be done now adays.

Have you seen the rate of return on savings?

How high inflation is?

How houseprices vastly exceed income..

How much does an xbox cost?

1 weeks rent?

Have you seen the rate of return on savings?

How high inflation is?

How houseprices vastly exceed income..

How much does an xbox cost?

1 weeks rent?

yes i know exactly how much everything costs and if i can't afford it now i don't have it and if i really want it i save for it. I am not saying it is easy and you will have the deposit straight away but fact is if you want something enough you can make it happen, you just have to cut back on things, i know lots of people who have done it. I would rather cut back on things and have my own home, where the mortgage is less than council rent than have to rely on handouts and struggle to pay ridiculous loans because i had to have that big screen tv, x box, etc. Everything i have, i've earnt by working hard and cutting back.

Not many people live like this, good honest working people can't rent affordable housing, let alone purchase it.

How come there are housing association properties on my street let to good honest hard working people? How much do you imagine rents are for social housing? They're a damn site cheaper than a mortgage.

How come there are housing association properties on my street let to good honest hard working people? How much do you imagine rents are for social housing? They're a damn site cheaper than a mortgage.

http://www.labourmatters.com/sheffield-labour/the-longer-you-wait-for-sheffield-council-housing-the-harder-it-gets/

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-720986.html

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/housing_waiting_list_war_1_299163

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9474000/9474045.stm

Be nice to be able to access it though eh pal.