Thousands of families forced into substandard accommodation

My house is not,nor has ever been,social housing,we bought it by sacrificing all the things that the work-shy,lazy,waste-of-space no-hopers think is theirs by right!

You may see,in the town centre,people going to work,but from my windows I see people who seem to have enough cash to waste in the pub and betting shop.

Of course,as they are obviously out of work,they probably don't have to pay rent or council tax,which us tax-payers fund.

We may not have to pay our morgage now,but we pay full council tax,and my husbands carefully saved for pension is also taxed.

Next time you critisize pensioners for shuffling around town,remember that we have earned our retirement,still pay taxes,and our cash is as good as anyones.

My house is not,nor has ever been,social housing,we bought it by sacrificing all the things that the work-shy,lazy,waste-of-space no-hopers think is theirs by right!

You may see,in the town centre,people going to work,but from my windows I see people who seem to have enough cash to waste in the pub and betting shop.

Of course,as they are obviously out of work,they probably don't have to pay rent or council tax,which us tax-payers fund.

We may not have to pay our morgage now,but we pay full council tax,and my husbands carefully saved for pension is also taxed.

Next time you critisize pensioners for shuffling around town,remember that we have earned our retirement,still pay taxes,and our cash is as good as anyones.

6% a year into a pension, for 30 years = 2.7 years of 2/3s AVERAGE salary pension.

6% a year into a pension for 30 years <<< 30 years of 2/3s final salary pension.

Have people really paid enough in to warrant what they are taking out?

People in their 20s will have to wait until 70 to get a pension under the current regime.

Why are people having children before they have a home to bring them up in?

Nowadays,there are no excuses for unwanted pregnancies.

We have brought up,between us seven offspring; all own their own houses,work for a living and are hard working useful members of society. Also,my oldest grandson,only 25yrs old,is currently building his own house. If one youngster can do it,they all can, if they have the gumption.

they are having children because thats the only way to get a council house.

But lots of people do. The demand for social housing has fluctuated dramatically over the last 10 years. 10 years ago social housing was very difficult to let - there was more than enough. It would be a waste of resources to build enough social housing for maximum demand - the private sector invariably has to take up the slack. And what exactly is wrong with young single people continuing to live with their parents or sharing accommodation?

But lots of people do. The demand for social housing has fluctuated dramatically over the last 10 years. 10 years ago social housing was very difficult to let - there was more than enough. It would be a waste of resources to build enough social housing for maximum demand - the private sector invariably has to take up the slack. And what exactly is wrong with young single people continuing to live with their parents or sharing accommodation?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/dwellingstockbysize.gif/

Owner occupation has fallen since 2002, the amount of social housing has fallen since 1981. The private rented sector has been expanding.

The young single people to whom you refer, what do you class as young? In their teens, early twenties, late twenties, early thirties?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/dwellingstockbysize.gif/

Owner occupation has fallen since 2002, the amount of social housing has fallen since 1981. The private rented sector has been expanding.

The young single people to whom you refer, what do you class as young? In their teens, early twenties, late twenties, early thirties?

Well like a lot of people I know I was living in shared accommodation until my early thirties. Most ex - students / young working people I knew lived in shared accommodation until they moved in with a partner / got married.

Why don't the council build prefabs as they did after the war.

They were relatively quick to build and cheap.

I was brought up in one and we only moved out as there was always the threat that they would be demolished as they were built as a temporary measure.

All the people I know who lived in them loved them.

Perhaps, instead of spending all their money in the Arbouthorne Hotel,as many do,they could save and buy their own houses as my husband and I did.

We are only working class,both coming from mining backgrounds,own our own house and are now morgage free.

How ridiculous as they must surely spend a little on cigarettes and gambling, The price of a pint is £3,so a few nights in pub(3) at 4 a night will cost £36 pw or £1800 pa hardly enough to fund a mortgage of £60,000 at 3% pa.Even houses in S2 exceed £60 k to buy

Well like a lot of people I know I was living in shared accommodation until my early thirties. Most ex - students / young working people I knew lived in shared accommodation until they moved in with a partner / got married.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/dec/08/young-adults-living-parental-home-ons

More young adults in 20s and 30s living with parents than in past 20 years

It's a symptom of high house prices and low wages, fueled by debt.

Interest rates are being kept low because thousands can't afford to pay their mortgage if interest rates are set at a realistic rate.

Which makes you wonder how transferring parkhill from the council to a private company, giving them £10 million + in subsidy already to stop the scheme going tits up. Losing out on 5000 * 5 (maybe more) years of council tax and rent, could ever have been a good idea.

The initial plan was for £160M to be spent, that's £160000 per flat.

You could have demolished and rebuilt for less.

City lofts can't even achieve prices that high! (Although to be fair, the properties there are a lot lot smaller).

The council have given away or sold cheaply thousands of our council homes.

Just look from the tram as you pass Parkhill and Norfolk Park and see the vast amount of private housing that has or is being built on prime sites that previously housed people from less well off sections of our society.

Caring council !

How ridiculous as they must surely spend a little on cigarettes and gambling, The price of a pint is £3,so a few nights in pub(3) at 4 a night will cost £36 pw or £1800 pa hardly enough to fund a mortgage of £60,000 at 3% pa.Even houses in S2 exceed £60 k to buy

Find a 100%LTV, 25 year, interest only mortgage, fixed for the duration of the term of the loan then :hihi:

In 25 years they would have 0% equity in their home.

Presuming such a mortgage was available.