Woodseats Safe Parking Campaign

I often notice cars parked up in the area and think that most if not all of the poorly/badly parked ones don't have anything to do with the car dealership. I actually had words with a woman who parked right on the corner leaving the back end of her car sticking out into Woodseats road as she'd made it dangerous for mums with little kids. She swore at me and said 'what's it got to do with you, I need to park here to go and pick my kid up from school'. I'm paraphrasing by the way as her language was abyssmal. Until the police and council parking services get a bit of joined up thinking and start fining people like her then the situation isn't going to get any better.

Parking on the road is not the same as parking in a private car park. Actual fines issued by the council or police do have to be paid ;)

The attitude towards the available space for vehicles is still exactly the same whether on private or public roads. Regardless of whether or not the fines have to be paid it's the sheer lack of respect to other road users.

Just wondering what the illegal aspect is here as I don't see any restrictions round there? Not sure what you expect of Police or Parking Services as there is nothing for either to enforce. I think double yellows might be your only way forward. Good Luck!

I think the op is annoyed that the dealership had some of the cars up for sale on the road which I think is an offense. I'm rather more bothered when parked vehicles make life difficult or in the case of my previous post dangerous for pedestrians. I had a quick look at the highway code and it states that you are not supposed to park within 32 feet of a junction although I'm not sure if that is then a matter enforced by the police or parking services. I don't understand why some parking offenses are the responsibility of the police and others parking services. which is the case at present.

Are all the vehicles taxed?

Good point well made :-)

I think the op is annoyed that the dealership had some of the cars up for sale on the road which I think is an offense. I'm rather more bothered when parked vehicles make life difficult or in the case of my previous post dangerous for pedestrians. I had a quick look at the highway code and it states that you are not supposed to park within 32 feet of a junction although I'm not sure if that is then a matter enforced by the police or parking services. I don't understand why some parking offenses are the responsibility of the police and others parking services. which is the case at present.

im more annoyed that every day i go out in the car i take my life in my hands turning right onto woodseats road because the garage owner has an advertised car right on the junction blocking my view on what is already a hazardous junction. i cant even see through the windows of the car because of the bloody for sale sign on the windscreen.

I had a quick look at the highway code and it states that you are not supposed to park within 32 feet of a junction although I'm not sure if that is then a matter enforced by the police or parking services.

Parking services hand out tickets for this on match days.

I've got one or two friends who don't like pulling out of Firbeck, Todwick, Smithywood or Ulverston because of the vehicles parking on Woodseats road which can often be transit vans and other work type vehicles. If the dealership moves his cars which in my opinion he should as I don't like to see businesses thinking the road or pavement outside their premises is their own personal extended sales area then the vacant spaces would then be filled by members of the public I'm sure.

just realised how ironic my signature is. ie every day i go out to get busy living ( or earning one) i might be getting busy dying thanks to the inconsiderate illegal garage owner. In response to adysheff, its illegal to park on junctions, and its illegal to advertise cars on the public highway.

Parking services hand out tickets for this on match days.

Do they? Must admit I try to stay as far away from the football grounds when matches are on as possible but don't ever remember having noticed this near bramall Lane in years past. Also if this is the case then how do they justify not doing it for the rest of the week and all over the city.

Parking services can only enforce where there is a parking restriction present ie yellow lines or pay & display, otherwise, it is a matter for the police.

These days, there are so many cars around that people often can only find a space near their home in places where strictly, you shouldn't park, like at junctions. The police don't have the time or inclination to enforce in these places as it isn't a priority for them.

I believe a person can have two vehicles for sale on the road legally.

If the vehicles for sale on the highway aren't taxed, a call to DVLA or the local policing team might have the desired effect.

If the car dealer is causing a nuisance dn there is a group of locale residents with concerns, I'd suggest calling a meeting on site, at a time when the offending vehicles are present, with your local councillors (there are three, check council website for contact details) and the local policing team to see what can be done.

Raising the issue at your community assemble might also be fruitful. They have a budget which could be used to install waiting restrictions.

Do they? Must admit I try to stay as far away from the football grounds when matches are on as possible but don't ever remember having noticed this near bramall Lane in years past. Also if this is the case then how do they justify not doing it for the rest of the week and all over the city.

Because in the week, when traffic is heavy their main priority is the city centre and the main arterial routes. Footy matches happen in the evening or on Saturday afternoon, when they aren't as busy elsewhere. There aren't enough CEO's to give the same level of enforcement right across the city, all of the time, they have to prioritise.