New Asda now OPEN near Crystal Peaks shopping centre

But Asda doesn't just sell food, it sells clothes, household goods and electrical items, so consumers can get what they need all from under one roof.

So why would customers go to independent shops that sell just a single item, when they can get the vast majority of what they need along with the ‘big food shop’ at Asda?

I have to agree - i called at 6 shops yesterday,with loads of stop/start driving.

Local p.o,local car spares, poundstretcher.pets@home,wilkinsons, and the card factory.

I could have travelled to Asda(or Morrisons i s'pose although i knew they didn't have one of the items) and got everything in one go, better for the environment,better for congestion and parking and time saving having to queue only once to buy everything.

well i live at hackenthorpe on rainbow road, so given a 5 minute walk it will be my local, i am also in desperate need of a job so am hoping that when they say local people, it really mean giving local people a chance and i may have a good chance of a job

Will they have a petrol station?

The proposal includes one. It's conceivable that permission would be granted for the shop and not the petrol station.

I would think if it gets the go ahead then they are going to have to update the roads, I would imagine the road between the police station to the A57 roundabout would need making into a dual carriageway. It is bad enough now at peak periods and it would be a lot worse with Asda being there.

i thought it was going to be a tesco not an asda ?

Tesco applied for (or were considering applying for, I'm not sure which) a site adjacent to the Morrison's store at Halfway, but not one in the Crystal Peaks area.

So far as I know Tesco's plans have been abandoned.

Tesco was proposed for next door to Morrisons IIRC.

Any supermarket but not Asda, PLEASE !!!!!

It won't be compulsory to shop there just because it exists.

Why do they need to have one there when there's already one not far away in Handsworth? The area is getting overrun by supermarket giants! Traffic on a weekend is already manic around there. Why don't they ask local people before they approve plans? We don't need a new Tesco either!