New Asda now OPEN near Crystal Peaks shopping centre

i need a job, just applied for a job at the new tesco being built at the wicker

Why do they need to have one there when there's already one not far away in Handsworth? The area is getting overrun by supermarket giants!

It's just what seems to be happening at the moment. If there is any land or commercial property for sale, more than likely it will be turned into a huge supermarket.

Why do they need to have one there when there's already one not far away in Handsworth? The area is getting overrun by supermarket giants! Traffic on a weekend is already manic around there. Why don't they ask local people before they approve plans? We don't need a new Tesco either!

IIRC they did ask local people. Certainly there were a load of flyers around the area a few months ago outlining the proposals.

IIRC they did ask local people. Certainly there were a load of flyers around the area a few months ago outlining the proposals.

Thanks but suppose they missed me out...

Does anyone remember being asked their postcode in Asda at Handsworth a few months ago? I think they were gathering figures for how many people form Mosborough/Hackenthorpe areas travelled there. If people go there to do their shopping like i do then they would go to the new one instead. I certainly don't do my shopping in Sainsbury's (too expensive) or Morrisons (not enough choice). If/When this Asda opens I will be able to do my shopping on foot rather than driving which will be much better for me personally and I few others I'm sure.

Looks like the end of the road for the Market Hall food outlets at Crystal Peaks?

Once we've got Asda, won't Tesco and Waitrose be wanting stores around there?

Looks like the end of the road for the Market Hall food outlets at Crystal Peaks?

Once we've got Asda, won't Tesco and Waitrose be wanting stores around there?

So we worry about a very few - small shops in the Market.. only one

fruit and veg shop - who's stuff is 2nd rate at best..

The butchers of which there are 3 (okay one sells chicken) all seem to compete against each other, ASDA will not effect them..

A pick and mix / tub selling outfit who sells not a great deal..

So we worry about maybe one or two small shops employing half a dozen people against a potential employment of over 400 people..

Its a no brainer really.. While they are at it.. get a Aldi / Lidl in the area also for the excellent variety in foods they also offer, with their themed weeks (ie this week is Portugal at Lidl)

The "market" is now becoming a hairdressing / beauty place / cafe.. not a food market.. you'd be better having a variety of small unique businesses in there not selling food.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/business/local-business/visions_of_100m_chinese_theme_park_unveiled_1_3661731

Along with this which could potentially add another 200 jobs to the area..

Why people dismiss the potential for higher levels of employment in an area which has suffered a decline over the last 20 years is beyond me..

Yes its the service industry sectors.. but a job is a job and we need this now..

600+ jobs sounds good to me..

And asda must be a fairly good place to work - it's always the same faces I see when I go in ( which isn't often) - you can't say that about alot of big companies.

there is nothing in the market of any great value only a few hair dressers not like it once was so if it shut it would be no great loss