Driving Instructor Megathread - Part 2 Do Not Advertise in here

In a bit you'll get shunted off to a driving instructor mega thread where you'll have 102 pages of recommendations or otherwise to wade through - so I'll be quick!

I used Horizon - Gavin Gregory in my area (S35), he was brilliant. Knew when to push me & knew when to hold back. I was 48 years young when I started having lessons - up to that point I'd never been interested in driving & to be honest I was very scared before hand. Gav took it all in his stride. Highly recommend them.

Hi folks, with public transport becoming so bad these days, constant missing buses, screaming children, and other general annoyances; I have decided it is time to take lessons, and get a car.

I have sent off he final bit for my provisional, and soon to take the next step. With driving schools being such a minefield, I thought this might be the best place to ask the people of Sheffield about what they might thing the best school is.

I am generally nervous, and would need a patent and understanding instructor. Price would also be an issue, and a package bundle would probably be best for me.

Next part is the theory part. I am more of a practical learn by doing person, so this might be difficult. What literature would be recommended? any specific authors of books to be recommended?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading :-)

"Highway Code" in paper, app or on-line.

"Driving: the essential skills"

For starters. Each driving school is made up of individual driving instructors all working independently of each other.

No one driving school can claim as a whole to be better than any other.

I bought my daughter the official Highway Code theory DVD and cd from WHSmiths she does a little bit on her laptop every night. There are lessons and then a quizzes. It's in the driving section and costs about £45.

It looks like the one in the link but it is a 3 dvd / cd pack with hazard and theory quizzes on. My daughter finds it easier than reading a taking notes.

Edited by mda03cn
More info

Yes, indeed. This and the HC cover the material for intelligent, knowledgeable driving (as well as allowing you to breeze through the theory test).

I might check out the DVD, seems a little too expensive though. Thanks for the help, still undecided on driving school.

Anyone had any experience with "go for it" driving school? prices seem decent. "driveology" says good for nervous drivers, but is that just shpeal, or is there truth in that? they are more expensive though.

I might check out the DVD, seems a little too expensive though. Thanks for the help, still undecided on driving school.

Anyone had any experience with "go for it" driving school? prices seem decent. "driveology" says good for nervous drivers, but is that just shpeal, or is there truth in that? they are more expensive though.

Could be "spiel", you won't know until you try them out.

My experience tells me that the nervous ones make good pupils and sometimes better drivers than those who start off confident, cocky even.

But that's the same in any learning context.

Hi,

Im looking for lesson and I have found this on groupon but cant find any reviews has anyone used this company?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/dealbank_en_gb/lynx-driving-school-2/39769810?utm_source=localhub&utm_campaign=localhub&utm_medium=sheffield

Or can anyone recommend a good company to use with good offers?

many thanks

Alice

Sent you a PM

Hi,

Im looking for lesson and I have found this on groupon but cant find any reviews has anyone used this company?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/dealbank_en_gb/lynx-driving-school-2/39769810?utm_source=localhub&utm_campaign=localhub&utm_medium=sheffield

Or can anyone recommend a good company to use with good offers?

many thanks

Alice

Can't understand what's on offer.

10 hours plus a test date (you have to pay for the test on top)?

How does any instructor have usable (for an unknown pupil) pre-booked test dates?

What can any learner achieve in ten hours?

If this is what you pay, the instructor pays something out of that to Groupon?

Or am I wrong?

It can't pay anything like a wage and it smacks of desperation and going nowhere fast marketing.

Edited by DT Ralge

Hi all, my partner needs a driving instructor quickly. Her test is in 3 weeks and there has been a problem with her instructor which means she can't carry on with them, for reasons I don't need to go into here. She has been told she is test ready, and is confident driving around, but there are a couple of things such as complicated lane changes and weird traffic light set ups which have marred her confidence.

Test is on 20th August, but this can be changed up to 15th August. Need to keep the momentum going though and she really needs a new instructor in the next few days that can take her through a test. They also need to be someone who is patient and calm throughout.

She is available throughout most of the day any weekday or weekend, which helps a lot, as most people need evening slots.

Is there a kind hearted instructor out there who is able to help in a pinch, or any recommendations with phone numbers?

Thanks all, I know Sheffield people will be able to help :)

---------- Post added 06-08-2014 at 22:56 ----------

To Rad, the moderator,

That doesn't seem fair, you've moved my post to another thread, straight away, and it's now buried so far no one can find it! I'm asking for help, but now no one will see it?

How does that help?