Driving Instructor Megathread - Part 2 Do Not Advertise in here

Should i got automatic or manual??

need lessons asap!

It is demonstrably easier to acquire the "hard", physical skills of moving the car in an auto. The downside is significant - once "auto" you will only be qualified to drive an auto.

Manual will allow you to drive both.

(As an aside, I have never worked out why, in Europe, the auto is the exception. We have taken every other labour-saving device known to man from over the Pond but not the auto gearbox as a standard fitment in our cars.)

There's more to driving, however, than just making the car move. These "soft" skills need to be learnt in both.

My father taught me and my brothers ,all passed First time ,must have been a great teacher

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, so please bear with me! I'm just thinking of re starting learning to drive at the moment. I have bad anxiety and panic issues, so am still in the thinking stage. Was wondering if anyone could recommend any good and nice driving instructors - especially important for me because of my health issues! Sorry if this has cropped up before in here!

Many thanks in advance,

Gem

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 20:26 ----------

I ought to have said in my last post - I live near Norfolk Park.

I learned with Stephen Mosley - passed first time and he was very very good, instilled a lot of confidence & was extremely patient.

I moved out of Sheffield for a while and he still came to teach me, which was amazing of him!

Check him out - stephen mosley driving school, he generally has some deals on Groupon and stuff so check them out too! although I am sure if you contact him he will do the 1st hour for free (if I remember correctly)

Good Luck!

Horizon, I know someone who comments how impatient the instructor was, there was even some shouting going on, and not the rosy picture painted about Horizon on here. The person told me about this recently.

Theres a lady called Jean Keen who is very good!

Do you have jean's contact number?

Well, after trawling through this (very useful) thread, I think I've narrowed it down to 3 for my (soon to be) 17 yo son for whom we are getting his 1st few lessons for his pressie, and the rest he will be paying for himself (and as a student the cost is going to be a concern) but the no.1 priority obviously must be the quality of the instruction.

Definitely want to avoid the 'nationals', must be a local, 1 2 1 instructor with a regular face.

So, any input to help me make my mind up :-)

Horizon gets the thumb up a lot on here, so must be good, but just worried about the ongoing cost at £23/hour.

Steve Pye, recommended on here and to me personally, but no idea about the cost as yet.

MSM Driving School at Eckington, recommended on here and prices are OK (even offer a student discount).

So, any comments welcome please!

Well, after trawling through this (very useful) thread, I think I've narrowed it down to 3 for my (soon to be) 17 yo son for whom we are getting his 1st few lessons for his pressie, and the rest he will be paying for himself (and as a student the cost is going to be a concern) but the no.1 priority obviously must be the quality of the instruction.

Definitely want to avoid the 'nationals', must be a local, 1 2 1 instructor with a regular face.

So, any input to help me make my mind up :-)

Horizon gets the thumb up a lot on here, so must be good, but just worried about the ongoing cost at £23/hour.

Steve Pye, recommended on here and to me personally, but no idea about the cost as yet.

MSM Driving School at Eckington, recommended on here and prices are OK (even offer a student discount).

So, any comments welcome please!

Bit of a lottery unless you go with personal recommendation.

I would look for an instructor with interests outside of learner instruction, one with an Advanced (RoSPA or IAM) badge/membership, one with involvement in delivering NDIS/NDAC training.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out "nationals" since the likes of AA have some very gifted, committed and broadly-skilled instructors because of the AA's involvement in NDIS/NDAC, Speed courses and fleet training.

In any case, I'd ask a prospective instructor to give three examples of how he/she teaches to drive rather than just to pass the (minimum competence) L-test.

wanting a driving instructor who teaches automatic,been having manual lessons but im just not grasping gears,would like to see if i can do it in an automatic.must be patient!!!!

wanting a driving instructor who teaches automatic,been having manual lessons but im just not grasping gears,would like to see if i can do it in an automatic.must be patient!!!!

You have already started with manual, do not give up!

I would suggest a new manual instructor who might bright a fresh perspective for you.

Gears really are not rocket science, you will get there in the end if you show some patience yourself.

My sister did manual right up till her test, failed... Then started automatic and passed. A year later and she regrets it and wants to do her manual.

I would do auto if thats what you want, its 2013 auto cars are much better than they used to be , if a car gets you where you want to go it doesn't matter if its auto or manual, ive heard all the stupid comments , like auto is for lazy people , if everyone that drives manual are so fit then why dont they start walking,and if all these people that make these stupid comments won the lottery then they probably would end up with an auto because most of the top of the range cars are auto

Bit of a lottery unless you go with personal recommendation.

I would look for an instructor with interests outside of learner instruction, one with an Advanced (RoSPA or IAM) badge/membership, one with involvement in delivering NDIS/NDAC training.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out "nationals" since the likes of AA have some very gifted, committed and broadly-skilled instructors because of the AA's involvement in NDIS/NDAC, Speed courses and fleet training.

In any case, I'd ask a prospective instructor to give three examples of how he/she teaches to drive rather than just to pass the (minimum competence) L-test.

Can recommend MSM in Chesterfield, passed first time with Mick. He was a great instructor, patient and did 10 lessons for £180, not bad really :)