Driving Instructor Megathread - Part 2 Do Not Advertise in here

Can you already drive at least half competently? Are you confident on the roads?

I agree with Stomp, the intensive courses are about making money not good drivers (my opinion!!) a good driving instructor will teach safe driving not just how to scrape through a test! The instructor I am learning with is excellent, and has a high pass rate because he is patient and good at explaining everything, and he will be honest about approximately how many lessons you might need. Kevin Jones from Pelican Driving school (0800 214 237) comes highly recommended if wanting to learn automatic. I am also learning because I need to to keep my job, hence automatic because I find it easier!!

Hi,

I'm in Rotherham near Wickersley and I'm looking for an automatic driving instructor to start in the next few weeks. I want to pass asap so please contact me. x

Stick with an instructor who you feel at ease with and that doesn't do your confidence in. Don't be afraid to change instructors, otherwise. My first driving instructor was sharp and snapped at me during lessions until I lost my confidence and jacked lessions in with him... Thought I would never pass my driving test.

Somewhere along the line, I started lessons again, with female driving instructor. She was ace - funny, non judgemental and allowed for errors like the old gear crunching (still do that from time to time if a bit light-footed on clutch) without biting my head off. She put me up for my driving test (scared the witts out of me) which I passed, fist time, no faults.

Greetings all,

I have a question - I have an intensive course coming up soon. I have never driven before and I would ideally like some pratice before the course, however my girlfriend seems to think if I ring up an instructor and tell them this they might just string me along for some easy cash or such like.

So, do you think I tell them I only want to do like 5 lessons before a course or just act like I'm a normal learner?

So you are already doubting that the intensive course will be enough practice and that a lesson or three with another instructor will be useful (you are probably right to have doubts) ... How about going for an intensive (how long is the one you've booked?) course plus some with the same instructor. I.e. Tell the instructor that you'd like some extra experience of driving to follow AFTER the intensive (honesty is a good policy).

If you feel you'd need extra experience or knowledge over and above what you you will get from an intensive course, what have you done by way of preparatory reading (unfashionable, I know) - HC, "Driving the essential skilss", "Mind Driving" (ok, that's stretching it a bit far - 3 books? perish the thought).

But, in any case, you are the customer. Tell the instructor the truth of what you'd like to do/achieve.

Edited by DT Ralge

Honesty is the best policy!! the instructor i am having lessons with will be honest about how many lessons he thinks you will need based on your abilities, he doesn`t believe in allowing people to waste their money, or have any more lessons than necessary to learn the skills needed to be a safe driver!! he told me from the first lesson he thinks i`l need approximately 20 hours of lessons (which at the time I thought was a bit too few, but i`v now had 10 and can see how much i`v improved!!) I honestly think most instructors are honest people and will not just take your money.

Cheers, guys. I took the honest approach and the school (lots of good reviews on here) actually offered me a better deal for it !

The course is two weeks, well it could be one week as the test is on the friday, can't really ask for experience after the course as it's run by an agency somewhere else. Although the course is designed with the absolute beginner in mind and it's a very well proven and successful course I feel I'd just like a little experience of even sitting in a car before it. And it's free too so I'd be a bloody fool to turn up without any prior knowledge/experience. As for books, I shall have a browse at "driving the essential skils", I've got the HC on order.

Hi,

I am looking for a instructor to take me to the final destination of practicle test!Unfortunately I have had two practicle tests in the past but failed both. I have has lessons since July 2011. Can anyone offer me a good deal to do mock tests for a practicle test?

Many thanks

Hi,

I'm a 21 yr old female student looking for an instructor good with unconfident drivers - I've had 5 lessons back in my home county but find myself very nervous beforehand and tense during. My last instructor was female but I'm happy to switch to a man as long as he's patient! I've also never driven in a city before, argh!

I've been told not to go with BSM as they keep you on too long to fit their quota apparently. Can anyone recommend someone friendly who'll serve the Broomhall area? Preferably cheaper with a block of 10 booking.

Thanks!

What are you studying here in sheffield and what is YOUR home county?

Not sure why this matters! But I'm from rural Cornwall so have only driven in country lanes and town suburbs.

It matters to ME what your studying.

But if you don't want to share that....it's no problem.

But it makes me wonder WHY you won't or can't share it?

Because it doesn't have anything to do with my request.