Dog crate training

hi wondered if anyone has any other ideas i can try, i rescued a bulldog 6 weeks ago, the previous owner said she was house trained so we brought her home, she dosnt do anything in the house in the day time if we are at home, if we go out they may be a accident waiting for us, but at night time when we went to bed and woke up you can guarantee she would poop on the floor or on the rug and pee where she pooped, so we got a dog crate and she is good in the crate at night and when we go out, so i thought i would give her 1 chance after 2 weeks of being locked in the crate we left her out 1 night, and you can guess what was waiting for me the next morning, i feed her at 9am, go for a walk in the afternoon if i can, the back door is always open for my other dogs and then i feed her again at 3pm i wait for her food to settle and take her for a walk and a run at 6pm. let her out 2 to 3 times before i go to bed, but if she isnt in the crate she poops, anyone have anymore suggestions

It may be that she actually feels more secure in the crate, her little den when the rest of the pack is away? I had the crate ready for Alfie my recently rescued dog but he is happy on my best chair and no problems at night or when I leave him.

Dogs feel more secure in a smaller space - they LOVE dens

It's cruel to expect such a small being to have to look after such a large space in your absence. You wouldn't do it to a child!

Dogs have a number of methods of defending a space, and the first one is to lay enough scent for intruders to know they're entering occupied territory - hence the issues you're having

Your dog is quite obviously happy with the crate arrangement, so don't be cruel. Secure her in her crate

I agree with the 2 posts above. Your dog is obviously happier in the crate so leave her in it at night. It isn't cruel in any way :)

Medusa might be able to give you more info. She recently walked my brother through the entire crate process after he took on a rescue dog with big problems. Following her advice worked a charm and he (Vinnie the dog. Not my brother :hihi:), is now doing great.

ok thankyou for all your comments, i was gettingworried as i have never used a crate before and i have had dogs all my life and had no problems so far, the reason why i was panicking is because i am taking them on a dogs holiday and i am struggling to find a crate small enough to get in the car but big enough for her to sleep in and i am having problems so now i am looking as fabric kennelsm but she is trying to charge at the door to get out now so i dont think the fabric kennells will be any good :rolleyes: running out of options as go on saturday

Have you just swapped the cage for a different type of kennel and shut her in? I don't think that would work. You will need to let her get used to the new kennel/cage gradually. Put all her favorite things in it and leave the door open until she is happy being in there. That is when you can start to close the door but don't expect too much. Let her out if she shows signs of being uncomfortable. It shouldn't take too long before she is happy in there.

Have you just swapped the cage for a different type of kennel and shut her in? I don't think that would work. You will need to let her get used to the new kennel/cage gradually. Put all her favorite things in it and leave the door open until she is happy being in there. That is when you can start to close the door but don't expect too much. Let her out if she shows signs of being uncomfortable. It shouldn't take too long before she is happy in there.

she is happy in her own little space, i bought a crate for my shih tzu which was having accidents at night time too and she hated it so i let her stay out which they bulldog claimed but she couldnt lay down in it without hanging out of the cage so i just left the door open so i went and bought a cage that should have been large but turned out to be extra large but as soon as i erected it she was like a rocket getting into it, so she has no problems getting into them, she just wants to come and go out of them when she likes too which when she does she poops and pees and then lays on the sofa, very weird

laying on the sofa isn't just about comfort. If she's pooed and peed first, it's more likely to be about making the statement that she's been left in charge of this space on her own, so everybody better stay away so she doesn't have to deal with them. She's chosen to sit on the chair that makes the statement that she's in charge in your absence

Dogs are sensitive little things ;)

hi dazzy its jayne i contacted u earlier but cant get back in contact could u plz contact me on 0114 2208214 thanks x